Has Anyone Heard Back from the Toronto Firms Recruiting Outside of OCIs?

harveyrspecter

ZukoJD
  • Law Student
4 hours ago, Yikes said:

Just a rant post,

I failed at OCIs and I get it its not supposed to be common. But I am losing hope here. I have been applying to every single post I see. I have used my university resources to better my resume and my cover letter. I was involved in 1L and secured an internship during the summer. Have a B+. 

The point of this post is not why didnt I get anything but rather I feel like this is every law students journey. And I get that people say theres lots of jobs outside this, but I feel like there is only a small amount that I have seen. It feels like OCI was designed to be this big thing in Law school when it just leads to a bunch of people being depressed and thinking they are less than everyone else. With each rejection, it gets harder to be like I am fine. We hear of those that get jobs all the time but I am sure there are people like me that maybe never get anything.

I am starting to realize why law is one of the more mentally draining fields with all the time you spend stressing out about things out of your control.

I feel you.

I gave just about everything last year to set myself up for recruitment. Got good grades, did two moots, did ECs etc. Also spent the whole summer essentially getting a trial by fire articling student experience. Draining.

Now I am pretty burnt out and feeling as though all of that wasn't worth the struggle. 

I am going to find whatever balance I can sustain over the long term now and try to not get so caught up in barrelling headfirst into whatever seems to present the most immediate success and relief. Life is a marathon my friend and we are just at the beginning. Better to learn these lessons now and adjust accordingly. 

All the best with the job hunt, to you and every other anxious person reading this thread. 

Edited by ZukoJD
  • Like 4

chaboywb
  • Lawyer
4 hours ago, Yikes said:

Just a rant post,

I failed at OCIs and I get it its not supposed to be common. But I am losing hope here. I have been applying to every single post I see. I have used my university resources to better my resume and my cover letter. I was involved in 1L and secured an internship during the summer. Have a B+. 

The point of this post is not why didnt I get anything but rather I feel like this is every law students journey. And I get that people say theres lots of jobs outside this, but I feel like there is only a small amount that I have seen. It feels like OCI was designed to be this big thing in Law school when it just leads to a bunch of people being depressed and thinking they are less than everyone else. With each rejection, it gets harder to be like I am fine. We hear of those that get jobs all the time but I am sure there are people like me that maybe never get anything.

I am starting to realize why law is one of the more mentally draining fields with all the time you spend stressing out about things out of your control.

You're losing hope? It's been a few weeks since OCI. These opportunities that open up shortly after OCIs are few and far between. The less obvious job openings are much more abundant and will appear between now and articling, though you may have to search/network for them. All I know is that I'm very envious of where many people ended up that I went to school with and who struck out at OCIs.

• Like 2

QueensDenning
  • Articling Student
8 hours ago, Yikes said:

Just a rant post,

You'll be a better, more resilient and more capable person if you stick it out and keep working hard. Trust me - these things always work out in the end. It might seem like everything you've worked for was for nothing right now - but the only way thats true is if you give up.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

Forever Curious
  • Law Student
On 11/16/2022 at 8:22 AM, Yikes said:

Just a rant post,

I know others have commented but I had the same kind of negative thoughts and was spiraling a bit after being rejected at OCIs but just know it really does work out. It doesn't seem like it now but you will have so many opportunities to get something before you leave law school. The only thing you really need to make sure rn is that you pick yourself back up. Ofc thats harder said than done - one thing I did to make myself feel better was just reach out to the CDO at my law school and learn about how there will be many more opportunities. Heck, I was still getting emails for articling opportunities for my class months after we graduated. Another thing to do is to really go back and do the steps again - work through your materials, improve your application, and think about your weaknesses and work on them. For me, that was improving my resume and cover letter and really working on my interviewing skills. I found that the next recruit was so much better as a result - even though, like you, I really did think I did all I could to prepare the first time around. Best of luck and it will be okay! 

• Like 2

ZukoJD
  • Law Student
On 11/15/2022 at 11:04 PM, CandidJD said:

If anyone hears back from Robins Appleby sometime this week (as they said they would), please post on this thread as well so that I know when to emotionally move on.

Interview next week. 

• Like 1

CandidJD
  • Law Student
21 minutes ago, ZukoJD said:

Interview next week. 

Which number did they call you with and which day did they call? I have missed calls cause I was in class but it says unknown so I don't know if it's spam.

• Thanks 1

wannabeellewoods
  • Law Student

Did anyone who interviewed with Blaneys hear back from them yet? 

Edited by wannabeellewoods

VIPigeon
  • Law Student
1 hour ago, wannabeellewoods said:

Did anyone who interviewed with Blaneys hear back from them yet? 

I know someone who did 

sarcasticlemon
  • Law Student

If anyone hears back from Babin Bessner Spry in Toronto please let me know! Or if you know when they conduct interviews. 

ZukoJD
  • Law Student

The job hunt is beautiful. Missing classes and getting further behind while spending several hundred dollars for a trip to Toronto, only to not even move on to round 2 despite feeling like you ticked every box and knocked it out of the park. 

Onwards we trudge gang. 

• Sad 2
  • Hugs 2

JohnsonWest
  • Lawyer
9 minutes ago, ZukoJD said:

The job hunt is beautiful. Missing classes and getting further behind while spending several hundred dollars for a trip to Toronto, only to not even move on to round 2 despite feeling like you ticked every box and knocked it out of the park. 

Onwards we trudge gang. 

I'm sorry you had a shitty experience. I hope you're not placing your identity and self worth on this process like so many people do. The firm I gave my first choice to would be the last firm I would work at now, after having opposed them a few times on various things. Take that for what it's worth. Best of luck to you and please reach out if you have any questions, I'll try and help you however I can. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

ZukoJD
  • Law Student
8 hours ago, JohnsonWest said:

I'm sorry you had a shitty experience. I hope you're not placing your identity and self worth on this process like so many people do. The firm I gave my first choice to would be the last firm I would work at now, after having opposed them a few times on various things. Take that for what it's worth. Best of luck to you and please reach out if you have any questions, I'll try and help you however I can. 

If anything I have been placing less and less of my self worth on this process with each rejection. It’s solidified for me how there are many factors outside of my control, and that you can only do so much. Really, assuming you’ve done the leg work (interview prep, grades, ECs etc.) it becomes a numbers game. 

• Like 4

goodisgood
  • Law Student
12 hours ago, ZukoJD said:

Onwards we trudge gang. 

Hey man I am in almost your exact position. If you haven't done this already, try to reach out to your interviewer or the recruiter at the firm and ask for feedback. Maybe there's something you missed or maybe they'll say there was nothing wrong, but I got some useful tips that I'm applying to my next interviews/applications. Good luck with the process. I think you're a fellow uOttawa student? We've both got this!

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

LMP
  • Law Student
31 minutes ago, ZukoJD said:

I'm going to give a job update because I've been all over this thread. I just received a 2L summer offer. Interviewed with and was rejected by 7 firms before this and felt incredibly demoralized and tired. Just keep plucking away people. 

Congratulations! Very well deserved. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

QueensDenning
  • Articling Student
1 hour ago, ZukoJD said:

I'm going to give a job update because I've been all over this thread. I just received a 2L summer offer. Interviewed with and was rejected by 7 firms before this and felt incredibly demoralized and tired. Just keep plucking away people. 

Love to see these posts. Congrats man. A testament to hard work and not giving up.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

ribbitbibbit
  • Law Student

Got an interview request with Davies Howe. 

Curious what people's thoughts are regarding accepting an offer and continuing to interview at other places. For example, if I get an offer from X firm in mid-December, but I want to work at OSC, which interviews in mid-February. Does anyone have any suggestions for navigating this situation? 

LMP
  • Law Student
41 minutes ago, KOMODO said:

Don't do this. It's sleazy, it will damage your reputation, and I think there's an LSO rule against it.

I think the LSO only governs the recruit? So @ribbitbibbitcould probably job hop without repercussion (minus the blow to reputation that you mentioned). 

KOMODO
  • Lawyer
1 hour ago, LMP said:

I think the LSO only governs the recruit? So @ribbitbibbitcould probably job hop without repercussion (minus the blow to reputation that you mentioned). 

I don't think it's that clear:

These Procedures are binding on all students and lawyers who participate in the recruitment of students for summer positions in Toronto for the year referenced in the title. These Procedures are to be followed in spirit as well as in letter.

Unless I'm misunderstanding, isn't @ribbitbibbit looking for a summer position in Toronto? If so, it would seem to me that the rules would govern even if the summer position isn't one offered through the OCIs/November in-firms process.

19.    Students who accept an offer shall immediately notify Employers from whom they have an outstanding offer or with whom they have scheduled interviews. 

20.    Students who have accepted an offer shall not thereafter participate in interviews with other Employers or accept offers subsequently received for such period as the acceptance remains in force.

“Second Year Student” means a law student who reasonably expects to be eligible to commence articling in May of the year that is after the year in the title of these Procedures.

There is no definition for "Student" but I would assume that a "Student" is either a "First Year Student" or "Second Year Student", both of which are defined terms.

• Like 1

ZukoJD
  • Law Student
6 hours ago, ribbitbibbit said:

Got an interview request with Davies Howe. 

Curious what people's thoughts are regarding accepting an offer and continuing to interview at other places. For example, if I get an offer from X firm in mid-December, but I want to work at OSC, which interviews in mid-February. Does anyone have any suggestions for navigating this situation? 

Why don’t you want to work at the real Davies? 

Turtles
  • Law Student
7 minutes ago, ZukoJD said:

Why don’t you want to work at the real Davies? 

The price of joining the other Davies is one's soul.

No thanks, I'd go for Davies Howe too.

Edited by Turtles
  • LOL 2