Queen's vs Dalhousie

شخص غريب

شخص غريب

Hey, everyone.

I don't know where I want to work in the future yet, so I am asking which of the two schools (Queen's or Dalhousie) is the better one in terms of national recognition and prestige. The degree from which of those law schools looks better on a resume across Canada? Which has better employment prospects? Which one can land you a job better in Alberta, for example?

Thanks in advance to all those who entertain my questions.

• LOL 1

CleanHands
  • Lawyer
25 minutes ago, Linen said:

@CleanHandsWhat do you mean by the laughing emoji?

Your thread invites a very pointless pissing contest.

Since you've tagged me I'll answer your question though: they are both average/mid-tier Canadian law schools and one will not offer a meaningful difference in outcomes over the other. Choose according to your preference for where you'd rather spend three years of your life.

• Like 2

Phaedrus
  • Lawyer

Queen's costs $19,487.57/yr.  Dal costs $21,535.21/yr. Based on your post history, you're aiming for USask and intend to go back out west. That's fair, but CleanHands is right, neither school has an advantage over the other to that end. 

A quick search says Kingston's living wage (if you accept that as a metric of cost of living) is $19.05 as of November 2022. By contrast, Halifax's living wage is $23.50. ,It probably makes more financial sense to go to Queen's. Plus, flights back home are probably going to be cheaper for you. 

I went to Dal; a lot of people came from Alberta. I suspect Dal has a decent alumni network in Calgary. Take that for what it is worth. 

CheeseToast
  • Law Student
On 11/20/2022 at 12:17 PM, Lilbb19 said:

Of course not the only factor lol, but queens campus blows dals out of the water. 

If we’re talking location Queen’s / Kingston is an absolute shithole compared to Dal / Halifax. 

• Like 1

QueensDenning
  • Articling Student
34 minutes ago, CheeseToast said:

If we’re talking location Queen’s / Kingston is an absolute shithole compared to Dal / Halifax. 

Not if you live/want to work in Ontario. 

But yeah, as a Queen's student Kingston is really getting old and I think Halifax would be a more fun city to spend three years for sure. 

CheeseToast
  • Law Student
22 hours ago, QueensDenning said:

Not if you live/want to work in Ontario. 

Queen’s / Kingston is a shithole regardless of where you want to work. 

QueensDenning
  • Articling Student
36 minutes ago, CheeseToast said:

I wouldn't call it a shit-hole. The campus is lovely, and the city has its charm. There's a whole lot of great restaurants and the student life can be awesome. You're also close to Montreal, Toronto, Ottawa - easy for weekend trips. 

It's leaps and bounds better in every respect compared to London, Windsor (now that's a shit-hole), Thunder Bay (also a shit-hole). I'd probably take it over living anywhere in the immediate vicinity of Osgoode (living in Jane and Finch or Vaughn? - gross). 

Edited by QueensDenning
  • Like 3

colecaufield
  • Law Student
1 hour ago, CheeseToast said:

Tell me you've never been to Kingston without telling me you've never been to Kingston

• Like 1

CheeseToast
  • Law Student
On 11/22/2022 at 8:51 PM, QueensDenning said:

I wouldn't call it a shit-hole. The campus is lovely, and the city has its charm. There's a whole lot of great restaurants and the student life can be awesome. You're also close to Montreal, Toronto, Ottawa - easy for weekend trips. 

It's leaps and bounds better in every respect compared to London, Windsor (now that's a shit-hole), Thunder Bay (also a shit-hole). I'd probably take it over living anywhere in the immediate vicinity of Osgoode (living in Jane and Finch or Vaughn? - gross). 

You could make all of these points for any other small town in Ontario. I also like how one of your pros for queen’s is its proximity to other cities while failing to acknowledge that Windsor is a 5 minute drive from detroit. 

On 11/22/2022 at 9:39 PM, colecaufield said:

Tell me you've never been to Kingston without telling me you've never been to Kingston

I’ve been, it’s a shithole. 

• Nom! 1

Ben
  • Law Student
2 hours ago, CheeseToast said:

You could make all of these points for any other small town in Ontario. I also like how one of your pros for queen’s is its proximity to other cities while failing to acknowledge that Windsor is a 5 minute drive from detroit. 

Hell yeah, I also love routinely visiting Detroit, compared to Montreal or Toronto. They are all totally comparable cities.

You don't have to like Kingston, whatever, but "shithole" is nuts. It's a great place to be a student. 

Edited by Ben
  • Like 2

QueensDenning
  • Articling Student
10 hours ago, CheeseToast said:

I'll visit Detroit when I'm looking for a spare bullet to the head.

• Like 1

TheAEGIS
  • Lawyer
2 hours ago, QueensDenning said:

I'll visit Detroit when I'm looking for a spare bullet to the head.

My $0.02.

That's how I used to think until I visited. Several times. It's really sort of a spectacular city. Cheap place to catch a game too. NBA, NHL, NFL. Or a concert, or a show.
It's got the entertainment / cultural footprint of a major Canadian city.

And yeah, it's got plenty of grunge too but that is not everywhere and I never felt unsafe there. .
.. Well, there was this one neighborhood ... but that wasn't in the downtown.

All that to say there's plenty to enjoy about Detroit if you're open to it. It's not all shootings and car jackings. 

• Like 1

QueensDenning
  • Articling Student
22 minutes ago, TheAEGIS said:

My $0.02.

That's how I used to think until I visited. Several times. It's really sort of a spectacular city. Cheap place to catch a game too. NBA, NHL, NFL. Or a concert, or a show.
It's got the entertainment / cultural footprint of a major Canadian city.

And yeah, it's got plenty of grunge too but that is not everywhere and I never felt unsafe there. .
.. Well, there was this one neighborhood ... but that wasn't in the downtown.

All that to say there's plenty to enjoy about Detroit if you're open to it. It's not all shootings and car jackings. 

I was being facetious, I realize Detroit isn't an objectively dangerous city and I wouldn't hesitate to go there. Though I don't think it's fair to compare Detroit to Toronto or Montreal. 

CleanHands
  • Lawyer

When a city is being unfavorably compared to Toronto it's either a really terrible city or the comparison is being done by a Torontonian.

Edited by CleanHands
  • Like 2

CheeseToast
  • Law Student

Guys, Queen's is 2 hours away from Toronto or Ottawa. You're going to be spending 99% of your time in Kingston which is simply not that great of a place - especially in comparison to Halifax or any other major city. This thread is hilariously on brand for Queen's. 

• Like 1

CleanHands
  • Lawyer
14 minutes ago, CheeseToast said:

Guys, Queen's is 2 hours away from Toronto or Ottawa. You're going to be spending 99% of your time in Kingston which is simply not that great of a place - especially in comparison to Halifax or any other major city. This thread is hilariously on brand for Queen's. 

Bro, let them have their copium if it helps them tolerate and justify spending three years of their lives in Kingston. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

Chewy
  • Law School Admit
40 minutes ago, CheeseToast said:

Queen’s is easier to spell than Dalhowzy. Your move, CheeseToast.

Ben
  • Law Student
7 hours ago, CleanHands said:

When a city is being unfavorably compared to Toronto it's either a really terrible city or the comparison is being done by a Torontonian.

I can never understand the beef other Canadians have with Toronto. What English-speaking cities have you been to that you like significantly better? I can only think of two or three places I've visited that I would live in over Toronto, and I don't think it's because I'm closed-minded. 

3 hours ago, CheeseToast said:

Queen's is a really fun place to go to school and Kingston is a perfect university town, which everyone who doesn't go to Queen's is eternally mad about for whatever reason. The only people I know who hate Kingston this much are people who have never lived there. 

Edited by Ben
wording

QueensDenning
  • Articling Student
39 minutes ago, Ben said:

Queen's is a really fun place to go to school and Kingston is a perfect University town, which everyone who doesn't go to Queen's is eternally mad about for whatever reason. The only people I know who hate Kingston this much are people who have never lived there. 

It's because they equate the queen's experience with their time at Western/Guelph/Windsor or whatever town they went to school and didn't enjoy. 

There's a reason why everyone who goes to Queen's loved their experience, and everyone else resents them for it! 

• Sad 1

QueensDenning
  • Articling Student
7 hours ago, CleanHands said:

Torontonian or not, it's a world class city by any definition, and I don't think the same can be said for Detroit (and I have been there!)

Chewy
  • Law School Admit
1 hour ago, Ben said:

I can never understand the beef other Canadians have with Toronto. What English-speaking cities have you been to that you like significantly better? I can only think of two or three places I've visited that I would live in over Toronto, and I don't think it's because I'm closed-minded. 

As a native Vancouverite, the perception out west is that Toronto has a superiority complex, a sense of self-importance, that grinds non-Torontonians gears. Not saying I agree with it, but that was the feeling when I was still there.

Or it’s like my brother who is pissed at Toronto for the Raptors staying and the Grizzlies leaving. 

Or dealing with Leafs fans.