Chance me 83% with drops, LSAT: 165, applied discretionary

danytea
  • Applicant

Hello everyone,

I'm posting on behalf of a friend who doesn't have an account.

Like the title said: their GPA is 83% with drops, LSAT: 165, applied discretionary.

- Not too decent ECs: participated in school peer guide programs, mental health support team, in a subcommittee for student association.

- Ok PS and LoR: one from a professor from a law course (took as elective), one from their manager at work.

- They applied discretionary for mental health issue, this was addressed after third year (submitted a letter from a physician), also got a letter from academic supervisor and mental health counsellor. My friend worried if this is enough to prove their diagnosis (the wait time for a psychologist was too long, they got medication from a physicians and felt better so did not get diagnosed by a psychologist).

Any insight would be appreciated!

Edit: I'm adding they have a lot of withdrawn courses which they are worried about (6 W in the span of 3 years)

Edited by danytea

• 4 weeks later...

I got in discretionary with similar stats. Slightly lower GPA and LSAT. Only one withdrawal in all my undergrad though. 

If I'd done the "chance me" with my stats alone, I think people would have told me, slim to none. So it's hard to say for your friend without knowing more about their work experience or personal statement. 

I think the personal statement is really important. Obviously too late to change now, but if they end up needing to reapply, definitely want to show why you want to practice law and what skills you've got that'd make you a good one. Gotta make it sing when other parts of your application aren't as strong. Also submit a CV if they've got some work experience. They don't actually list that as an option to submit (or didn't when I applied) but you can and should if it helps show your capabilities in any way. 

For the withdrawals, I could see the schools being concerned that the person may be easily overwhelmed and worry law school might be too much. You'd want to go beyond explaining why all those withdraws happened, and demonstrate why that wont be an issue now (with some real examples supporting that, if possible). 

Good luck to your friend.