Please Chance Me: 3.98/157/Solid Softs/Mature

RiverCricket

RiverCricket
  • Applicant

36 year old law school applicant. Lots of life experience. Worked since high school, high performance and leadership experience in a law-adjacent profession for the past 7 years. Finishing poli sci degree in April with a 3.98 GPA, heavily overloaded and achieved in only 18 months. President's list, 95+ in all undergrad law-related courses. University senate, judicial panel member, senate academic appeals committee, all while still working full time. LSAT 157, a pneumonia-induced hospital visit the day before writing kinda threw me off my game although I did not include this in my PS (hindsight). Of note, two of my referees were the current and past chairs of the Poli Sci dept, and the third a professor/current lawyer.  Applied to Lakehead, uOttawa, Osgoode, Lincoln Alexander, UofT, and UNB. Ideally want to get into a Toronto school, Osgoode is my top choice.

I know my current LSAT is low, and to be honest it's really stressing me out. I'm rewriting in January (hopefully healthy lol), but what do you think my current chances are? Do you think my GPA and softs are high enough to offset my LSAT score as it sits now?

Thank you in advance!

Edited by RiverCricket

RiverCricket
  • Applicant

Yes, 3.98 is based on OLSAS conversion. 

Thank you for your feedback, but I don't think a private tutor is necessary, I am scoring 168-171 on PTs and I'm sure I can do better than I did previously on the LSAT. My question was more so based on my current stats. I guess I'm wondering how much GPA/softs can offset below-median LSAT scores, and if I could possibly expect to hear something prior to rewriting in January.

Edited by RiverCricket

VIPigeon
  • Law Student
12 hours ago, RiverCricket said:

Yes, 3.98 is based on OLSAS conversion. 

Thank you for your feedback, but I don't think a private tutor is necessary, I am scoring 168-171 on PTs and I'm sure I can do better than I did previously on the LSAT. My question was more so based on my current stats. I guess I'm wondering how much GPA/softs can offset below-median LSAT scores, and if I could possibly expect to hear something prior to rewriting in January.

I’m a mature student with opposite stats (high LSAT low GPA). Based on my application year, you should have a really great chance with Lincoln Alexander, uOttawa, UNB and Lakehead. I got an invitation to interview at Osgoode but had already accepted at another Ontario school I preferred, for location reasons. So I would venture to guess you have a good chance there as well. 

That said, I highly highly doubt you’ll hear back before January. A lot of schools don’t even assess their mature categories that early, and if they see a pending LSAT on your file, they will wait until that score comes in to look at your file.

• Like 1