NYC jobs for 3L summer?

Law_Student_X

To the best of my knowledge, there really aren't any NY big law firms that officially recruit in 3L. However, I know people that got NY jobs during 3L with Skadden, K&E, and STB. So it doesn't hurt to network heavily and mass mail the V100 (maybe even AM250) firms.

mistertubby
  • Law Student

ive never heard the term "3L summer" in my life, you've graduated, the rest of your career is your 3L summer lol 

• Like 5
  • LOL 7

5 minutes ago, mistertubby said:

ive never heard the term "3L summer" in my life, you've graduated, the rest of your career is your 3L summer lol 

Some schools like McGill take 3.5 years to complete and you'll have a 3L summer that way. Same with the dual degree program at uOttawa/American University which takes 4-years. 

From observing the people around me who did that, it seems like firms just treat your 3L summer as a 2L summer. As long as your timeline for articling is the same as the rest of your class, it doesn't seem to make a difference. 

I note that this observation is for Toronto whereas OP was asking about NY. 

Edited by QMT20

ZukoJD
  • Law Student
10 hours ago, QMT20 said:

Some schools like McGill take 3.5 years to complete and you'll have a 3L summer that way. Same with the dual degree program at uOttawa/American University which takes 4-years. 

From observing the people around me who did that, it seems like firms just treat your 3L summer as a 2L summer. As long as your timeline for articling is the same as the rest of your class, it doesn't seem to make a difference. 

Bojack is not horsing around. 

• LOL 1

• 2 weeks later...
PzabbytheLawyer
  • Lawyer
On 11/26/2022 at 12:45 PM, QMT20 said:

For McGill, it is as follows:

If you decide to finish your degree in 3.5 (most people) or 4 years, your summers are actually as follows:

Your first summer is your "0L" summer. Most people do term papers, get RA jobs, get other jobs outside of the recruit, travel.

Summer between second and third year is your "1L" summer. You can apply to the Toronto and whatever else 1L recruit.

Summer between third and fourth year is your "2L" summer. This is when you would do the 2L recruit for Toronto, new York, Ottawa, Vancouver, etc.

You are not allowed to do the recruits outside of this timing unless you change the date on which you are planning to graduate (3 years, or 4.5).

• Like 1