USask vs TRU

KDaddy

KDaddy
  • Undergrad

Right now I have offers from both schools that expire in mid-late January. I figure that TRU will probably cost about 30k more than U of S over the course of three years taking into account tuition and rent. Ultimately, I want to practice in Alberta, and U of A would be my first choice if I get in. I want to put a deposit down for one of these schools. So... any thoughts? I am not rich but could TRU be worth the extra money for the experience... nicer city/opportunities/jobs in BC, etc? I assume USask is more of a household name when it comes to Canadian law schools. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Whist
  • Law Student

Personally, I would choose USask as a backup for significant cost reasons. Both tuition and the COL in Saskatoon will put you in less deep of a financial hole. "Nicer" opportunities/jobs in BC is irrelevant if you want to practice in Alberta (I'm also not sure what you mean by nicer jobs). Kamloops is regarded better than Saskatoon - beautiful landscape and winters aren't as bad as the prairies, though they aren't as gentle as the GVA. But Kamloops is expensive and finding housing can be hard. It's not as close to the lower mainland as some people think and it get victimized by fire season every year (smoke or actually burning). USask is a much older school and may have more course options - you should be able to compare course options online. I think the question should be if you're willing to spend $30k+ more for milder winter or for the experience of living somewhere you never have for 3 years. 

• Like 2