OLSAS GPA & Ontario Schools

Chewy

Chewy
  • Law School Admit

My OLSAS calculated cGPA was calculated a lot lower than I expected. I suspect it's because they also included a year that I did at another school where I had to withdraw from my courses due to health reasons and received four Fs in one semester. I ended up doing 4 full years at another school at a later date and didn't transfer any of the credits from the previous school to use towards my degree.

My question is: Will Ontario schools that look at your overall cGPA (Osgoode, Ottawa, etc.) just rely on the cGPA provided by OLSAS, or will they do their own bit of investigating to catch discrepancies like this? 

danytea
  • Applicant

I think that even though you don't report that semester, they will always have it on record. Schools will rely on the cGPA calculated by OLSAS, however, you can submit supporting documents to explain your situation.

• 5 weeks later...
ltmaverick25
  • Law Student

They did the same thing to me. I started university studies in the mid 1990s and due to extenuating circumstances wasn't able to complete so I have a series of unearned Fs on my transcripts from over 20 years ago. I went on to complete a BA at another institution (starting from scratch) and two additional MAs for good measure. Despite all that my cGPA via OLSAS sits at 2.62. If you remove those Fs from two decades ago I'm in the very high 3s. And of course, they don't count any grad studies in their calculation. Just have to hope the institutions don't toss it to the side and dig deeper into the application.

• 3 weeks later...
ng5492022
  • Law School Admit

I am in a similar situation. Sitting at 2.8 and really hoping that it doesn't prevent them from tossing out my app from the get-go

Chewy
  • Law School Admit
9 hours ago, ng5492022 said:

I am in a similar situation. Sitting at 2.8 and really hoping that it doesn't prevent them from tossing out my app from the get-go

Just wanted to provide an update: I was accepted to a few schools so it looks like they don’t just rely on the OLSAS cGPA. 

• Like 2