Articling for DOJ outside Legal Excellence Program

queenspal

queenspal
  • Law Student

Hi folks! Has anyone done this?

I know people have secured articling roles with various sections within the DOJ without being part of the Legal Excellence Program; has anyone on here? Do you know the process that the principal/section had to go through? Any insight would be incredibly valuable! 

Thanks so much.

TheDevilIKnow
  • Articling Student

From my experience on this forum and the old one, this seems to be a confusing area. A user in this thread indicated that they (and someone they know) got 2L jobs outside the LEP, but not articling jobs as far as I understood the thread.

To the extent that students do get articling jobs with the DOJ outside the LEP, if indeed they do, this would seem to be a process shrouded in mystery. Perhaps due to ad hoc urgent needs in a given area. I’m wondering if maybe it only happens in Ottawa - I have some knowledge of the Vancouver office, and have not heard of that happening there. Lots of relatively newer calls being hired externally, if I understand correctly, but all the recent articling students have come through the LEP.

In short, I if you know that people have secured articling roles with various sections of the DOJ outside of the LEP, you may already be ahead of most of the rest of us.

Edited by TheDevilIKnow
Exams done; can’t seem to write anymore.
  • Like 1