When is the Right Time to Let Firms know About Moving On

ForTheWin2022

ForTheWin2022
  • Lawyer

Hi Everyone,

I hope your articling is going well. My mentor has made it clear that my firm usually makes hireback decisions in early February. However, she and a few other partners have already expressed their interest in me continuing after articling (the discussions are basically just short of making a complete offer). I do not want to stay at my firm for two reasons. First, I plan on moving to another jurisdiction after articling. Second, I plan to specialize in a practice area that the firm does a small amount of work in, but not enough that I could make it my full-time practice. I would rather be direct with them because I feel dishonest knowing that I have zero intent on staying and would rather they have the opportunity to fill my spot.

When would people suggest letting them know?

Edited by ForTheWin2022

I think you should be straight up with your firm and let them know earlier rather than later. This will allow them to make plans to fill the spot you are leaving behind and plan accordingly.

You might get some backlash as people take things like this personally. They might stop giving you work or be cold towards you.

But I think the best thing you can do in this situation is be honest with them and give them more time to make their decisions if you already made yours. 

SNAILS
  • Law Student

I would wait until I have secured the "new" place I'm going to in case that falls through. Once that happens, I would have the decency to work for the old firm long enough that I am not leaving them in the lurch. Don't burn any bridges since you might need a reference.

• 4 weeks later...
ForTheWin2022
  • Lawyer

Just following up on this in case anyone ever has the same question. I will preface this by saying it is likely firm-specific regarding how leaving is received. However, I was very direct with the managing partner of my firm about my intentions of not staying on as an associate. Although they said hire back was guaranteed and hoped I would reconsider, they were incredibly understanding. Since then, most of the partners I have told have offered to be references and/or write letters of reference for jobs I am applying to and even put in a few words at firms they know. There have been no disruptions in my workflow, and I am still getting the work I want to do.

I guess the moral of the story is that letting your firm know in advance can work out sometimes. 

• Like 4

I agree with what most of what has been said here. I can't really imagine any situations where you wouldn't want to tell them you won't be returning if you're 100% certain you don't want to return. This can actually help you with receiving a strong reference letter. They obviously think you're competent and skillful and they obviously like you. The professional courtesy of letting them know will likely reflect well on receiving a reference letter. 

Edited by Apple
  • Like 2