U of T vs Queen's

cymc

cymc
  • Applicant

Hi everyone, 

Suppose that U of T and Queen's are the only two options, which one would you say is better for someone who intends to work in the government (provincial/federal) and intend to work in the area of administrative law? 

Some additional information: Parents will help me with tuition so it's not a problem. However, lower tuition is still better for me. 

LMP
  • Law Student

I don't think either school inherently gives you an edge when it comes to public sector work, but you save about 14k a year at Queen's. 

UofT does give some extra flexibility should you change your career goals, but it isn't as though Queen's locks you out of anything. 

Overall, I'd say go to Queen's. You'll save money on both tuition and rent and get the same oppertunites to do the work you want. 

cymc
  • Applicant

31 minutes ago, LMP said:

I don't think either school inherently gives you an edge when it comes to public sector work, but you save about 14k a year at Queen's. 

UofT does give some extra flexibility should you change your career goals, but it isn't as though Queen's locks you out of anything. 

Overall, I'd say go to Queen's. You'll save money on both tuition and rent and get the same oppertunites to do the work you want. 

Thanks for the input. I am definitely leaning towards Queen's because of the financial aspect, although I am slightly hesitant because of the "prestige" of U of T. 

Edited by cymc

• 1 month later...
cities1000
  • Law Student

I know this is late, but you should definitely see how much financial aid you will get from UofT before making your decision. It makes the actual cost of the school considerably cheaper than comparable law schools (Osgoode, Western, Queen's, etc.) for many students. 

crocslover
  • Law School Admit
3 hours ago, cities1000 said:

I know this is late, but you should definitely see how much financial aid you will get from UofT before making your decision. It makes the actual cost of the school considerably cheaper than comparable law schools (Osgoode, Western, Queen's, etc.) for many students. 

This! I self-calculated, and U of T's bursary program makes my tuition cheaper than it would be at Osgoode or Queen's

• Like 1

Turtles
  • Law Student
3 hours ago, Autumn said:

This! I self-calculated, and U of T's bursary program makes my tuition cheaper than it would be at Osgoode or Queen's

Keep in mind those other schools have bursaries too. Osgoode goes up to 15k/year off the 24k. 

cities1000
  • Law Student
5 hours ago, Turtles said:

Keep in mind those other schools have bursaries too. Osgoode goes up to 15k/year off the 24k. 

I think it is fair to say UofT's financial aid program is more robust. While the maximum bursary an Osgoode student can receive is $15,000, the average financial aid amount at UofT is $18,700 and the maximum is $37,000. If your need requires, UofT will cover your entire JD tuition with financial aid. Additionally, UofT's financial aid program is better funded. Osgoode receives $3 million in bursary funding each year, which it has to distribute over ~900 JD students, while UofT receives $5 million in financial aid funding and distributes these funds over ~650 JD students. This means that more students are able to access higher levels of aid. Both schools are an incredible choice, but if financial need is a consideration for OP or anyone else considering between UofT or another school, it is important for them to know that UofT has the best financial aid program among Canadian law schools. If their need is sufficient, it could result in them paying zero law school tuition.  

Edited by cities1000
Added additional information
  • Like 1

cymc
  • Applicant
On 2/3/2023 at 10:18 PM, cities1000 said:

I know I will get 0 from U of T unfortunately, since my family income is high.