Edmonton Articling Salary

Applicant18

Applicant18
  • Applicant

Hi Everyone, 

I'm currently a 1L at the UofA and I am starting to look forward as the 1L recruit is upcoming. I'm curious as to what the standard salary is for articling in Alberta or more specifically Edmonton? Any info is appreciated as I know firms may vary and can be dependent on location, types of practice, workload etc. 

Whist
  • Law Student

For the exact reason you stated, it's hard to give you much unless you narrow it down. On average, Edmonton salaries are a bit lower. Big firms tend to have more widely available data on NALP. They pay around $80k for articling students in both Edmonton and Calgary. In contrast, I've seen crim defence firms offer $35k for articles. 

If you're considering the 1L recruit, most large Edmonton firms hire through that and not in 2L. You may see some crop back up for the articling recruit. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

SNAILS
  • Law Student

To add to what @Whist said, you get a much better idea when you break in down into the field of law you are practicing. Criminal defense is on the low end, corporate law for larger firms is on the high end, and other fields fall somewhere in the middle.

Disclaimer: I'm importing my impressions of the Ontario job market (but not just Toronto). I know nothing in particular about Edmonton.

Nightwing
  • Law Student

The Government of Alberta hires about 20 students in small cities as well as in Edmonton and Calgary-- the salary this year was 52K, but it is increasing to about 75k for next year's class of articling students. The regional students all work in prosecutions and the students in Edmonton and Calgary do prosecutions, public trustee, child protection, and civil litigation work. 

• Thanks 1