Words of encouragement for a 3L who lost their secured articling position

sunshinecoast

sunshinecoast
  • Articling Student

Hi all, I recently found out that the firm I was supposed to article with can no longer take me on. I can't reveal the details without revealing my identity or the firm, but it is entirely out of their control, and I have no hard feelings toward anyone.

I am looking for advice from lawyers or current articling students who had to search for articles during their final semester of 3L. I know it is not my fault, but I can't help but feel embarrassed that I am in this situation. The jobs I had before law school were always taken out of necessity. I was financially independent since high school and always worked and paid for my education since my family couldn't support me. This articling job was the first time I had said yes to a position, not only because I needed it but because it was the job I truly wanted.

I found my prior position through cold applications and networking, so I am comfortable with the application/interview process. If anyone has any kind words of encouragement or wants to share their experience I think that would help. My mental health is definitely suffering but trying to keep my chin up.

• Sad 1
  • Hugs 11

ZukoJD
  • Law Student

Not an articling student but I've heard that nearly a third of the graduating class at my school typically won't have secured their articles by March. So you're not at all alone here. Many of them secure articles following graduation even. The important thing is that virtually all of them do secure articles—at least the ones that actually want to.

Edited by ZukoJD
  • Thanks 1

sunshinecoast
  • Articling Student
1 hour ago, ZukoJD said:

Not an articling student but I've heard that nearly a third of the graduating class at my school typically won't have secured their articles by March. So you're not at all alone here. Many of them secure articles following graduation even. The important thing is that virtually all of them do secure articles—at least the ones that actually want to.

You're right. It helps to hear those statistics! Thank you 

• Like 1

I'm sure this other shop feels pretty bad that they can't follow through on their promise, can they help you at all? 

If it hasn't been discussed already could you bring it up and maybe prompt them to make a few calls on your behalf?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

SNAILS
  • Law Student

When one door closes, another one may open up. There are certainly firms around still looking for articling students. 

Also, consider this. You do have to article somewhere else. But that firm likes you and wants you, but there is no position open right now. Maybe after articles or as a 2 year call you can return to that firm. Or maybe you'll have found something even better.

• Thanks 1

Twenty
  • Articling Student
10 hours ago, sunshinecoast said:

You're right. It helps to hear those statistics! Thank you 

Furthermore, you are a competitive candidate based on the fact that you were able to land a position, though ultimately they couldn't take you on. So it's definitely not the case that you're still looking for articles because you're not hireable. You are and you will find something. 

• Thanks 1

sunshinecoast
  • Articling Student

Thank you all for the encouragement! I am already feeling a bit better than yesterday. The firm did say they are going to call around to see if similar firms are hiring. I also have a mentor who has been very helpful to me who has offered to help. I will try and remember to post on here once I land something. Thank you again I really do appreciate it. 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 3

cherrytree
  • Lawyer
4 hours ago, sunshinecoast said:

Thank you all for the encouragement! I am already feeling a bit better than yesterday. The firm did say they are going to call around to see if similar firms are hiring. I also have a mentor who has been very helpful to me who has offered to help. I will try and remember to post on here once I land something. Thank you again I really do appreciate it. 

Wishing you all the best. The March 2020 lockdown happened when I was in winter term of 2L, and I knew several friend/classmates had their employers abruptly withdraw their summer job offers due to pandemic-related uncertainty at the time. Luckily, most of them worked really hard to find an alternate source of job experience/income that summer and made the best of a shitty situation. It sucks a hell of a lot to have that happen to you, but it is an extremely sympathetic situation to find yourself in and most people would offer to help or try to keep you in mind for referrals if they hear about your situation. Don't be shy about asking for help and cast a wide net in your area of interest!

• Thanks 1