Applying to other BigLaw firms despite having accepted my current firm's articling offer

Ricky LaFleur

Ricky LaFleur
  • Law Student

As the title says. Summered at a biglaw firm and accepted their offer back in late July/early August. I wasn't exactly thrilled with my experience there. 

Would it be weird/distasteful to apply to an articling position at another biglaw firm? And while on this topic, would it be weird/distasteful to apply to in-house articling postions?

Thanks!

BlockedQuebecois
  • Lawyer

Assuming you’re in Ontario, it would be a breach of your obligations to the law society: 

Students who accept an offer shall immediately notify firms from whom they have an outstanding offer or with whom they have scheduled interviews. Students who have already accepted an offer shall not thereafter participate in interviews with other firms or accept offers subsequently received.

https://lso.ca/Becoming-Licensed/Lawyer-Licensing-Process/Articling-Candidates/Finding-a-Placement/2022-23-Articling-Recruitment-Procedures#b-general-procedures-applicable-to-recruitment-by-all-firms-7

• Like 1

Ricky LaFleur
  • Law Student
14 minutes ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

I had a feeling...well thanks for the info and confirmation! Guess I'm riding this one out.