Studying on vacation…

multigraincheerio

multigraincheerio
  • Law School Admit

Hi all.

I am taking the January LSAT and hoping to schedule my test on the 14th. I have *technically* been studying since May, though I feel I’ve only been somewhat efficiently studying since September ish, and truly efficiently studying since late November (I was in school, I have now been studying 6-8 hours a day since then).

I have a family vacation booked from December 27-January 3rd (leaving me 11 days til the test once I get back) and am pretty stressed about getting studying done while I’m away. Time zone is about the same, maybe a 1 hour difference, if that.

I should be able to get around 4 hours of studying done per day in the mornings, but I am stressed with the change of setting from where I would be taking the test and the likely distraction I will face. Any thoughts/tips/experience on this? Should I be okay? Could it have a positive effect in the end?

Rashabon
  • Lawyer

I get you're stressed pal but these are questions no one can answer for you. I half-ass studied for like 5-6 weeks before I wrote my LSAT. Some people study for a year. Some don't study at all. We can't comment on your personal needs in order to achieve your LSAT score.

My view is that taking a vacation will probably be a good thing because you seem the anxious type that could use a distraction. Getting relaxed before writing the LSAT will probably do you more good than one extra week of studying, especially since you've spent the bulk of 2022 working on the LSAT as is.

• Like 1

multigraincheerio
  • Law School Admit
21 minutes ago, Rashabon said:

I get you're stressed pal but these are questions no one can answer for you. I half-ass studied for like 5-6 weeks before I wrote my LSAT. Some people study for a year. Some don't study at all. We can't comment on your personal needs in order to achieve your LSAT score.

My view is that taking a vacation will probably be a good thing because you seem the anxious type that could use a distraction. Getting relaxed before writing the LSAT will probably do you more good than one extra week of studying, especially since you've spent the bulk of 2022 working on the LSAT as is.

Haha, I definitely communicate my anxiety levels in writing more than I intend to 🥲. I very much appreciate your response! 

Edited by multigraincheerio

ZukoJD
  • Law Student

One of the best pieces of advice I got for assessing how prepared I was for the LSAT is to take the average of my previous 5 practice tests and deduct 2-3 points to reflect test-day performance drops. I'm not going to weigh in on whether you should take that vacation off from the LSAT, but I will say that if you're already scoring around or a bit above your target score then you can likely rest easy. 

Edited by ZukoJD
  • Like 1

multigraincheerio
  • Law School Admit
8 minutes ago, ZukoJD said:

One of the best pieces of advice I got for assessing how prepared I was for the LSAT is to take the average of my previous 5 practice tests and deduct 2-3 points to reflect test-day performance drops. I'm not going to weigh in on whether you should take that vacation off from the LSAT, but I will say that if you're already scoring around or a bit above your target score then you can likely rest easy. 

Good idea, I somehow have never heard that one before. Thanks for your response.

• Like 1

ZukoJD
  • Law Student
16 minutes ago, multigraincheerio said:

Good idea, I somehow have never heard that one before. Thanks for your response.

No problem! Everything I learned about the LSAT came from 7Sage (a lot from their forum) and the Thinking LSAT podcast. Besides the fact that both of those resources cater to an American audience they are fantastic. 

Edited by ZukoJD
  • Like 1

existentialdread
  • Law Student

I always performed my best after taking an extended break of 1-2 weeks. When I've had a solid rest or "brain break", I always saw score increases and frankly felt much sharper.

IMO, consider actually using your vacation for its purpose-it may do you more good than you'd think. 

• Like 1

multigraincheerio
  • Law School Admit
45 minutes ago, ZukoJD said:

No problem! Everything I learned about the LSAT came from 7Sage (a lot from their forum) and the Thinking LSAT podcast. Besides the fact that both of those resources cater to an American audience they are fantastic. 

Agreed about 7Sage, it really is the bomb. I benefitted tremendously from their LG curriculum in particular.

8 minutes ago, existentialdread said:

I always performed my best after taking an extended break of 1-2 weeks. When I've had a solid rest or "brain break", I always saw score increases and frankly felt much sharper.

IMO, consider actually using your vacation for its purpose-it may do you more good than you'd think. 

Interesting perspective, thank you for your response! 

• Like 1