Canada Student Grant for Full-time Students (BC)

pickme101

pickme101
  • Law Student

Hi all! Excited for this new forum. 

Does anyone know if we are applying for a student loan if we would be eligible for this grant as a JD is considered an undergraduate degree? 

https://studentaidbc.ca/explore/grants-scholarships/canada-student-grant-full-time-students

And if anyone does know then is it $6000 total for the 3 years? 

Thank you in advance! 

TrashGoose
  • Law Student

You will be eligible, I have received the grants each year so far. The grants have increased to 6K per year (if you are eligible for the maximum). They may revert back to a lower figure next year (Fall 2022). I believe they used to be 3K per year if my memory is correct.  

Edited by TrashGoose

QueensDenning
  • Articling Student
11 hours ago, TrashGoose said:

You will be eligible, I have received the grants each year so far. The grants have increased to 6K per year (if you are eligible for the maximum). They may revert back to a lower figure next year (Fall 2022). I believe they used to be 3K per year if my memory is correct.  

Is this the BC equivalent to OSAP (Ontario Student Assistance Program)? OSAP gives out 6K grants (per year) as well. 

Goblin King
  • Law Student
7 hours ago, QueensDenning said:

Is this the BC equivalent to OSAP (Ontario Student Assistance Program)? OSAP gives out 6K grants (per year) as well. 

Student Aid in Canada is jointly administered by the provinces and territories and the feds. Essentially, Student Aid = 0.4 x Provincial Contribution + 0.6 x Federal Contribution. No matter what province you're in, if that province participates in the Canada Student Loans Program, you'll be eligible for the suite of Canada Student Grants. That federal aid will be distributed by the province, but it's federal funding and is therefore uniform across provinces. In other words, you'll get the $6000 no matter where you live and it won't be OSAP or BC's money, but they're the client-facing entity who processes your application. Provincial funding will differ, so your total aid package (including grants) will be different based on the province you live in. 

• Like 2

maybemaybe
  • Applicant

but it was raised to 6k because of covid right? It might be a bit lower for upcoming years, unless they changed it to remain at 6k indefinitely

pickme101
  • Law Student
2 hours ago, maybemaybe said:

but it was raised to 6k because of covid right? It might be a bit lower for upcoming years, unless they changed it to remain at 6k indefinitely

The website does say "Note: The above amount has been temporarily increased for 2020/21 in response to the COVID-19 pandemic."

Hopefully it continues for the next few years but they haven't posted any updates yet! 

• Like 1

maybemaybe
  • Applicant
3 hours ago, pickme101 said:

The website does say "Note: The above amount has been temporarily increased for 2020/21 in response to the COVID-19 pandemic."

Hopefully it continues for the next few years but they haven't posted any updates yet! 

Yeah I hope so as well. If I remember correctly, Trudeau did promise to increase the grant when he was running last election. It would sure be nice given that certain universities are increasing their tuitions. The 6k was super helpful for this year, thats for sure

• Like 1