Don't Let Anyone Bring You Down!

theaukr

theaukr
  • Law Student

I recently left my partner of 3 years due to much verbal and psychological abuse. During those years it got progressively worse and he hated that I was going to be a student again pursing law school (he also knew this the first day we met and it was non-negotiable). He repeatedly expressed he wanted to move on with his life and felt that me being a student held him back from doing what he wanted to do, but in the same breath would say that he saw a future with me. He constantly put me down and even said that I don't have what it takes to be a lawyer, law school is a pipe dream (it's not I'm going), I failed the LSAT because I wasn't accepted my first cycle, he didn't realize how long it would take, etc etc, among other hurtful things. He even told me his family wanted him to be with someone who was an already established professional and not a student. Even saying it out loud sounds so ridiculous that this was his biggest issue he had during our relationship. Anyways, I could go on, but DO NOT let anyone treat you like garbage because of your goals or for any reason! And this is applicable to anything in life, whether a small or large goal.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 9

TheRizz22
  • Applicant

Good for you for following your dream and getting away from a bad person&situation. Best of luck in law school and your personal life!

• Hugs 1

That guy would have spent your entire lives together ripping you down and accusing you of holding him back. It’s a type. Good on you for ditching that idiot. 

“My family wants me to be with a professional” JFC.

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• 3 weeks later...
totaldcky
  • Law School Admit

When I told my girlfriend at the time that I was going to apply for law school, she became cold and distant and spent the next month trying to convince me that more schooling would be a waste of time before ultimately cheating on me. All this while I was still in grad school, working, and studying for the LSAT.

Some people can't handle even the prospect of other people's success, especially their partner's. Screw them. Good for you OP, I hope you find all the happiness and success you deserve.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 3

theaukr
  • Law Student
2 hours ago, totaldcky said:

When I told my girlfriend at the time that I was going to apply for law school, she became cold and distant and spent the next month trying to convince me that more schooling would be a waste of time before ultimately cheating on me. All this while I was still in grad school, working, and studying for the LSAT.

Some people can't handle even the prospect of other people's success, especially their partner's. Screw them. Good for you OP, I hope you find all the happiness and success you deserve.

Thank you for the kind words!

I'm not sure how I managed to complete my degree while working and studying for the LSAT with all of the toxicity. I can only imagine what I'll accomplish without all of that stress behind me now! 

• Like 1