Windsor vs Western

Seansei

Seansei
  • Law Student

Accepted to both. (Still waiting on Osgoode.)

Background: Born and raised in Windsor; live here with parents, so no rent (significant difference in cost over three years)

BSc Computer Science degree and am interested in at least studying the law as it relates to technology (IP, cybersecurity, etc.), though I'd need the academic experience to consider working in that niche. Otherwise, I'm interested in criminal law (defence) or corporate law.

I know each of these schools has its own reputation. I am tied to Windsor with family, but could move to London or Toronto if that's were the money is. Not that it's all about money, but am I correct in thinking that the additional cost of going to Western obligates me to pursue big law in Toronto?

Otherwise, considering employment prospects and clinical opportunities, how do these two schools compare?

FranksRedHot
  • Law Student

While cost is always a factor, I've always framed decision like this in terms of how many doors does each decision leave open, or the inverse, how many doors does each decision close?

Windsor is not a bad school, but its reputation and overall standing do leave you with fewer summer opportunities, fewer articling opportunities, harder to lateral to larger firms, and you are more restricted regionally (all doors that the school closes). Can you work extremely hard to be at the top 5% of your class where you reopen a few of those doors? Sure, but thats where you need to be pragmatic about what you can consistently achieve, and if that level of work and stress is worth it for you (I know for me it would not be). 

Money is always an important factor, but I cannot come up with an argument where the cost savings of Windsor outweigh the benefit of going to a much better law school like Western.

At the end of the day this seems like it is a matter of money for you. 

Windsor wins in that regard, hands down. Cheaper tuition and living at home will probably save you around 50k over the course of your JD. 

Now, what are you giving up on Western? Primarily it is the career outcomes in corporate and full service firms. While not impossible to get from Windsor, these oppertunites are certianly harder to get. Windsor students do place on Bay St but not many and not in the areas people typically associate with big law. 

There's a reason you see many people transfer out of Windsor. 

But remember, I'm talking here about corporate jobs (and doing so only because you mention it in your post). If you want to practice criminal law in Windsor, then Windsor is the right choice. It isn't even close, you'll save money, get relevant oppertunites during school and meet members of the Windsor bar who can help you start out. 

If, however, you're not so sure on criminal law, there may be a risk involved in choosing Windsor. At the end of the day the savings aren't astronomical and Western will open more doors. 

Which is why to answer this question you'll need to do some research and soul searching. It is really hard to know what type of law you might want or like. I'm in 2L and a good chunk of my classmates still have no idea. But if you can get a better idea of what you want to do and where you want to do it, then you'll be able to better pick the right school for you. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
corn_syrup_enjoyer
  • Applicant

Something also worth noting about London is that rent and transit are more expensive than Windsor. I'd go as far as to say getting around London without a car is a deeply unpleasant experience I would avoid if possible. I can't speak to their law school but their undergraduate and graduate departments are notoriously stingy with scholarships too. May be worth considering in your estimates.

• Like 1

TheAEGIS
  • Lawyer

Windsor grad here.

Look, debt has a non-trivial effect on your life that should not be taken for granted. That said, having more debt from attending Western wouldn't obligate you to pursue big law imo unless you also want to be rid of that debt really quickly. In a sense, your answer really depends on your short/medium term post-law school goals and your tolerance for carrying debt. If you can stomach a longer timeline for repayment, you can do whatever you want.

It's not fun delaying buying a house, travelling, starting a family, or whatever else because you're paying off debt you didn't need to take on. But you may also find that 10 years into your career the extra debt was worth it. Who knows *shrugs*

If the extra cost wouldn't seriously impact your short/medium term goals, then Western is the no-brainer. It might also be a good opportunity to live away from home if you did your undergrad in Windsor.

I should also say for the record that the impact of going to school A over B tends to be overstated, particularly by 0Ls and law students on this forum. So take those opinions with a grain of salt. 

My experience (and that of many practitioners) is that the individual determines career outcomes more so than the school. And by and large, Windsor grads do just fine thank you :). The caveat of going to Windsor is that you'll occasionally have to deal with non-lawyers who think your school means more than it does.

My $0.02.

Edited by TheAEGIS
clarity, alacrity
  • Like 2