NYC recruit advice sought

ramoj

I am looking for some insight the NYC recruit, but first, some context: 

I've been accepted to Osgoode for September 2023.

Currently, I am in the UK completing an MSc. I won't get into the details, but basically you don't need to study law at any point in undergrad/masters here to become a lawyer. Firms hire from all programs, you then join them for a "summer scheme", and if it goes well they pay for your post-grad law qualification, and you can qualify with them.

I've been lucky enough to have been hired as a summer student at a US law firm's London office (V25 firm).

If the summer position goes well, I will probably just stay here and qualify with this firm through their trainee program. Although, there is a chance that does not happen, and I have to come back to Osgoode to do the JD. 

So, here is my question:

Given I will be a non-UofT JD student, would having this V25 firm on my resume be advantageous for the NYC recruit? How would someone recommend positioning this if I were to come back to Osgoode? Or am I largely naive in my thinking that it would be an advantage and would the recruit still be largely based on my 1L GPA? 

Any insight would be helpful. Thanks! 

Edited by jomar

• ramoj changed the title to NYC recruit advice sought
BlockedQuebecois
  • Lawyer

Given the implication would fairly clearly be that you did not do well enough during the summer scheme to warrant being brought on, I would think it isn’t going to be viewed as a particularly strong positive. You will likely benefit a bit from the name recognition and the fact that you’ll have relevant experience to talk about, but grades are still going to be the overriding factor in getting you those interviews. 

• Like 1