Share Your Course Selection Tips & Tricks OR QUESTIONS

MystikalMotion

MystikalMotion
  • Law Student

Title says it all folks. 

Heading into 2L. Help, lol. 

We didn't have much access to upper years because of this pandemic. Hopefully this can help us 2Ls. 

Please toss out anything that comes to mind 🙂  OR.. Post a question. 

Edited by MystikalMotion

MystikalMotion
  • Law Student

Mergers and Acquisitions looks great. Not sure about the workload. The assessments seem like a lot. 

• MystikalMotion changed the title to Share Your Course Selection Tips & Tricks OR QUESTIONS
goosie
  • Lawyer

Keep in mind that incoming 3Ls had all of their classes online last year (with - if I remember correctly - exceptions for one or two classes). Most of us have never had in person upper year courses. For courses that will be offered in person this year, the assessments, exams, and general classroom experiences might be very different from what they were like on Zoom last year.

Edited by goosie
rephrased for clarity
  • Like 1

sedardon
  • Law Student
20 hours ago, MystikalMotion said:

Mergers and Acquisitions looks great. Not sure about the workload. The assessments seem like a lot. 

Will people with a business background have a significant upper hand, do you think? Is it risky to take the course without prior BComm-like experience/knowledge?

SadJaysFan
  • Articling Student

Controversial advice: don't be afraid to bid heavily in second year. If the rules are still the same, 3Ls win ties with 2Ls, so your bid points go a lot further in 3L, plus lots of people go on exchange (at least they did in the before times)

• Like 1

peterparker
  • Law Student

Any upper years or former Western students have advice re: bidding on January intensive courses and/or bidding on courses that haven't ever been offered before?

Some of the January intensives (e.g., Advanced Torts) have been offered many times in the past, whereas some haven't been at all. Similarly, this year there's a course called Cybercrime which seems super interesting to me but hasn't been offered in the past, so it's hard to gauge what others' interest in it would be. Any advice would be appreciated!

• 2 weeks later...
cantaloupe
  • Law Student

Does anyone have any insight into how chaotic the add/drop/swap period is? Also, is taking 16 credits in 2L fall advisable? Or 16 (so I guess 12) in the winter? 

ThreeWhiteLights
  • Law Student
13 hours ago, cantaloupe said:

Does anyone have any insight into how chaotic the add/drop/swap period is? Also, is taking 16 credits in 2L fall advisable? Or 16 (so I guess 12) in the winter? 

Given the disaster this morning, I'm guessing pretty chaotic.  

• Like 1

Lawllapalooza
  • Lawyer
14 hours ago, cantaloupe said:

I wouldn't worry too much about this. In my experience some 3 credit courses involve a ton of work and some 4 credit ones are rather laid back. Just make a schedule that works for you. 

• Like 1

TobyFlenderson
  • Lawyer
1 hour ago, Lawllapalooza said:

I wouldn't worry too much about this. In my experience some 3 credit courses involve a ton of work and some 4 credit ones are rather laid back. Just make a schedule that works for you. 

I agree. I’ve found that assessment schemes (100% final vs 20% participation/30% memo/50% final) make a much greater difference re: workload 

• Like 2

cantaloupe
  • Law Student
6 hours ago, ThreeWhiteLights said:

Given the disaster this morning, I'm guessing pretty chaotic.  

LOL Hopefully Round 2 tomorrow will be better...

@Lawllapalooza Any courses in particular that were more/less work than advertised?

@TobyFlenderson 100% finals = more work at the end of term?

TobyFlenderson
  • Lawyer
5 hours ago, cantaloupe said:

@TobyFlenderson 100% finals = more work at the end of term?

Depends how much work you need to put in to feel comfortable about the exam. Ethics, for example, is 100% final, and I watched each recorded lecture once (I’d use the term watch loosely, really), didn’t take notes, and read my hand-me-down summary one time all the way through. Got a B!

And in all fairness, ethics is a bit of an anomaly in the sense that it’s a recorded class even in non-COVID times, I don’t think the material has changed in a few years, and the summary on the SLS website is really quite good (probably from a couple years of fine tuning, since the material hasn’t changed). But the point stands that 100% final doesn’t necessarily mean more work at the end of the term, especially if the alternative is a 20 page paper due at the end of the term instead.