Is there a chance? LSAT 143; 3.56 CGPA; Common Law - General Category

johnlawschool

johnlawschool
  • Applicant

This is my first time applying to law school and I'm anxious to see that nearly everyone's scores are much better than mine. I applied in the general category.

I have 9 months of legal assistant experience, volunteer lots, and have a strong personal statement. However, I feel that my LSAT is embarrassingly low. This legal assistant job takes nearly all of my time and I feel like I can't adequately prepare for it. I worked hard for my CGPA, but it suffered due other things I had going on during university. 

I took this job to see if I would like working in law. I'm now convinced that this is the thing for me. Seeing acceptances on this forum and comparing my scores is making me doubt that I'm cut out for this. Any advice would be kindly appreciated. 

Chewy
  • Law School Admit

Study, retake, and apply next year. It’s almost a certainty that you won’t be accepted anywhere with that LSAT score.

Mr. Blue
  • Applicant

Unfortunately a 143 LSAT pretty much guarantees you won't be accepted anywhere this cycle. BUT don't take that as an indication that you're not cut out for this! If you want to work in law, you can absolutely make it happen. With your experience and your cGPA, if you're able to raise your LSAT score into the 160s, I'm sure you'll be accepted somewhere. Good luck!

• Like 1

goodisgood
  • Law Student

As others have said the LSAT is almost guaranteed fatal to your app this year. But it's normal to be able to make fairly large jumps with the right study habits/program. Check out our LSAT section on the forum for strategies and different available programs. If you want this, you can do it! It took me more than one application cycle to get into law school too.