B- average... what are my job prospects?

frostythesnowman

frostythesnowman
  • Law Student

I am in my second year of law school in BC (originally from Alberta). 

I am a very average student in terms of grades (1L grades ranged from B+ to B-, one C+ on the transcript). I just got my 2L fall grades and I received B-'s across the board and one B. I know its not terrible but it's not impressive either. 

I want to return to Alberta for articles. I participated in the Alberta 2L recruit and was able to land a few interviews at big law firms. I did not move past in firms. However, I got lucky and secured a summer position at a really good boutique firm in Vancouver who will offer me an articling position. The issue is, I don't want to practice in BC long term (something I've learned after accepting the summer position), so I probably won't accept the articling offer. I will participate in the upcoming Alberta articling recruit. 

My grades are giving me anxiety - I don't have competitive grades and I am worried that I will have a hard time securing a position. Is anyone able to provide any insight on the job market in Edmonton and Calgary? What job prospects do I have with these grades? (I'd be interested in mid-sized firms and big law firms). - Does anyone know which big law firms have historically participated in the Articling recruit? 

I can't answer your direct questions but some thoughts overall on your circumstances: 

Doesn't Alberta do its articling interview/offers a month or two earlier than Vancouver? It used to be that way. If that is the case, you can try Alberta and see if you get a good result. If not, then you can consider taking the articling offer from your current firm (assuming they follow Vancouver rules i.e. they can't formally give you an offer until the Vancouver dates). It is not that hard to move from BC to Alberta one you are called to the bar, if you find a position in Alberta. 

Edited by atg95

• 4 weeks later...
BanzaiPipeline
  • Law Student

I know this is late, but I finished law school with a B-ish average. I didn't have 1L grades but my grades saw only a slight improvement from 2L to 3L, hovering around the C+ to B range. I interviewed with big firms, and ended up signing up with a well respected boutique. My suggestion is to network well within the legal community in Calgary and Edmonton. A senior partner at a Big Firm told me that while most of the articling spots are filled in the recruit, most firms keep 2-3 spots open for "people we like". This could be, realistically, a partner or major clients kid, but also people without grades but with interesting life experiences or an entrepreneurial spirit that can be invaluable in the long run.  

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...