Any advice/Tips?

cloudyx

cloudyx
  • Undergrad

Hello everyone, I've been stress-browsing this forum for a couple of weeks during the break looking for some much-needed advice.

Context: 2nd-year undergrad student. Planning to apply to all Ontario schools in the future(Osgoode law would be ideal since it's closest). Possibly applying access to some schools due to: economic circumstances, visible minority(first gen immigrant family), sick relative if that counts?

(All grades below are converted using the tool on this forum)

CGPA: 3.12 -on the lower end due to an iffy first year(textbooks and other materials were a bit hard to afford during the pandemic)
The first semester of second year(this fall) GPA: around 3.75/3.76 ish.

Started some LSAT prep in my free time.

ECs/Work: Volunteer when possible(religious thing), coach sports during the summer with plans to get involved more. I work part-time even before university started and continue to; got a couple of promotions(worked at the same place) if that helps at all.

I know not this is not much information to go off, but I'm a bit anxious and tried to list some of what I got currently.

What are my chances like? Any advice or tips to be a competitive candidate? I appreciate all your help.
Thanks for reading 🙂 

Edited by cloudyx

LMP
  • Law Student

You're stressing things prematurely. You've got less than half your degree done and no LSAT, any guess at your chances would be pointless.

Having said that, don't fret too much about a bad first year. The first year of university can be tough and schools know that. Some will discount that year entirely. 

For now focus on keeping your grades up, study for the LSAT when you have time and countinue accruing  extracurricular experiences. Come back in your fourth year and people will be happy to help you figure out your chances. 

And until then try your best to enjoy your undergrad without worrying about what comes next. Plenty of time for that in law school. 

• Like 3