1L Summer Jobs

TiredLawStudent

TiredLawStudent
  • Law Student

Hi folks, I'm not sure if I should be submitting applications for 1L summer positions right now or if I should wait until the 2L OCI. My mid-year marks are two extremes with a couple of A/A-  and a couple of C+/D  (was quite sick that week and couldn't prepare the way I wanted).  On one hand I think obtaining 1L work experience looks good on the 2L OCIs but on the flip side I don't want my name to be associated with the lower grades - my fear is that it could be remembered during the 2L applications and I run the risk of being ignored in the 2L application process.  I do expect the lower marks to increase significantly after April exams.  

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Whist
  • Law Student

There is no reason not to apply for summer spots in your position. I’m not sure if by 1L positions you meant the 1L recruit or in general. You’re probably out for the recruit with multiple Cs/Ds, but there are non-recruit jobs, and jobs you can do in 1L that won’t be part of the 2L recruit. Even if they are, the 2L recruit looks at grades from your entire year and not just first term. There are so many applicants that you probably won’t be memorable based on the application alone and they’ll obviously see if/when your grades improved the following term. 

Why on earth would you choose to forego money and a summer of experience? If you decided to do nothing instead, what would you have to say to interviewers in the 2L recruit why you did nothing the previous summer? I don’t think “I was scared of being remembered badly” is a good answer.

• Like 1

There is no risk to applying now and being rejected. It won't be held against you. 

Firms will see your 1L grades either way and while I'm not confident in your chances of getting any interviews it is certianly worth a shot. 

Moreover you should certianly look for summer employment of some kind. The recurit in 1L is small and the vast majority of students will get nothing. But there are many smaller firms that hire outside the recurit and there is real value in securing one of these oppertunites.

Edit to add that big law firms that rejected me in 1L interviewed me in 2L, it didn't make a difference.

• Like 1

Byzantine
  • Law Student

Also can look into employment with a public interest firm / clinic over the summer. I did that and it seemed to help during the 2L recruit. 

Some of my colleagues did research assistant work over the summer for professors. So lots of options outside the 1L recruit if it doesn’t work out.