U of T vs. Osgoode

An Intl Student

An Intl Student
  • Law School Admit

I'm a international student that is struggling between U of T vs. Osgoode.

I've studied law school and worked in a law firm for a couple years in my home jurisdiction. Based on my experiences, I'm fairly certain that:

• I do not want to work in BigLaw or Corporate / Commercial
  • I want to work either in a medium sized international firm in Toronto, or in the public sector / NGO / inhouse
  • The sectors I enjoy are dispute resolution and court work (civil disputes not criminal / family)

Based on these factors, I'd love to hear your thoughts as to what you would recommend. A couple of extra points I might add is that:

• I understand U of T is more prestigious and higher ranked, and some have described it as more competitive. Is this competition friendly? Or is it seen as cutthroat/ elitist?
  • Cost is generally not as big as a concern to me, as I've saved up some of my personal money to attend law school

With the caveat that I don't exactly know what a "medium sized international firm" is, I think either school would suit your goals. 

UofT does have an edge (and not a small one) in formal recruits, but primarily that'll be geared towards biglaw/corporate firms. 

Osgoode has the stronger clinical options which might help with your NGO goal. It is also, of course, the cheaper school. 

Overall, you can't go wrong with either choice. UofT will provide more flexibility should your career goals change but you'll miss out on Osgoode's clinics and comparative tuition discount. 

mistertubby
  • Law Student
2 hours ago, An Intl Student said:

I do not want to work in BigLaw or Corporate / Commercial

osgoode