Ottawa 2L Recruit Grades

newbie99

newbie99
  • Law Student

With the Ottawa 2L recruit around the corner, what grades are considered competitive for the national firms? Can experience/involvement/extracurriculars offset a bad grade/GPA? 

Ribbons
  • Law Student

I'm curious about this as well. I applied for a Crown prosecutor job but I'm from out of province and finding information on Ottawa recruit is impossible. I know calls start going out tomorrow? But do you have any knowledge on how exactly it works?

In terms of GPA, I know at my school the average is a 3.1 in upper years so I assume that 3.3-3.5 is pretty good and 3.6+ is excellent but I don't really know. 

capitalttruth
  • Law Student

Curious, as well. I have an 8.35 cGPA and wondering what sort of chances I have to land interviews.

WhoKnows
  • Lawyer

Around a B+ is likely going to be competitive, depending on the firm (there are a few, like Stikes, who I believe look for higher grades). 

Yes, extracurriculars can offset a bad grade (meaning a C), maybe two, but any more than that and you'll really need to have some explanation. B- grades are less concerning, provided there aren't a lot of them.

If you have an Ottawa connection, it will also bump your chances.