Preparing for PLTC in Advance?

lawfacade123

lawfacade123
  • Law Student

Does anyone think it would be helpful to read these in advance of starting PLTC?

I'm mostly thinking about reading the one topic that I didn't take a class for, just so I have some level of familiarity with the material once PLTC starts. 

AverageStudent2022
  • Articling Student

I think it would be helpful (to a limited degree), but in all likelihood a waste of your time. I did not take a class for many of the subjects and found the studying very manageable. The concepts are not that difficult. You really just need to be organized.

Also, PLTC bar exams are not about how much you can retain, they are all about how fast you can look up the answers. No way to remember everything. Hope that helps!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think it's never a bad idea to read through things beforehand. If nothing else, it limits the panic of reading something you've never learned about before in the midst of a test.

I passed my Barrister's with flying colours but got an adjudicated pass on the Solicitors. SO maybe I'm a minority, but I wouldn't brush off the difficulty level. I do agree that much of it is how quickly you can look up an answer. That seems stupid but it's actually how a number of things come up in practice: you have a time crunch to give the right response. So don't try to memorize everything, but do make sure you're comfortable with the general outline of things and where it can be found.

• Like 1

lawfacade123
  • Law Student

I did hear from a PLTC instructor that in somewhat recent years they upped the fail rate to be more in line with other professional tests. I generally hear from lawyers that have been practicing for awhile that PLTC is extremely easy, but more recent calls tend to know at least a few people who failed part or all of it (and some of them were otherwise very good law students). 

Thanks for all of the advice everyone! I'll likely give it a read then.

Lawstudents20202020
  • Lawyer

I think adjudicated passes are fairly common these days, as are failures on one specific assessment. The good news is the pass rate on second attempts is quite high.

I would also say that I've never heard another lawyer look down at someone for not making pltc on the first shot. Atleast in my area it seems to be accepted that PLTC is an arbitrary hoop to jump through and passing has more to do with doing things the pltc way and not the only way to do things. 

Edited by Lawstudents20202020
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
pumpkinpie
  • Articling Student
On 1/19/2023 at 1:14 PM, Lawstudents20202020 said:

I think adjudicated passes are fairly common these days, as are failures on one specific assessment. The good news is the pass rate on second attempts is quite high.

I would also say that I've never heard another lawyer look down at someone for not making pltc on the first shot. Atleast in my area it seems to be accepted that PLTC is an arbitrary hoop to jump through and passing has more to do with doing things the pltc way and not the only way to do things. 

Had no idea adjudicated passes were fairly common. Is it just for borderline fail students and/or those with compassionate/medical grounds?