Personal statement quality

cola

cola
  • Law Student

This came up recently for ECs, but I haven't seen much discussion about evaluating a PS. Lots of posters here have described theirs as ranging from "decent" to "strong". Obviously it's highly subjective, and it's already been said that many applicants overestimate the quality of their own. So, I want to know: what is it that you think makes a PS "strong"? Unique personal background/work experience? Specific accomplishments mentioned? Clear "Why law"/"Why X school"? Connecting your background/softs to "Why law"/"Why X school"? Overall quality of writing? Something else entirely? Same with LORs - what do you consider a good one (other than just being positive generally)?

I started writing this post with fellow applicants in mind, but of course perspectives from current students and lawyers (and especially anyone with adcomm experience) would be greatly appreciated.

Naj
  • Law Student
11 hours ago, cola said:

Unique personal background/work experience? Specific accomplishments mentioned? Clear "Why law"/"Why X school"? Connecting your background/softs to "Why law"/"Why X school"? Overall quality of writing? Something else entirely? Same with LORs - what do you consider a good one (other than just being positive generally)?

Some combination of the above. Most applicants are normal people, and have relatively unremarkable lives in which our reasons for wanting to attend law school is usually something along the lines of having financial security and being a respected professional in a respected profession that also offers the opportunity to do some good once we inevitably figure money isn't everything.

My personal theory is that most PS's do more damage than good, and  amongst those PS's that are "exceptional" they are also, for the most part, a collection of exaggerations.

In my opinion, if you've manage to not lie and also not say anything that would hinder your chances at being admitted, you've probably written a good a PS.

Edited by Naj
  • Like 1

FellowTraveler
  • Law Student
12 hours ago, cola said:

Lots of posters here have described theirs as ranging from "decent" to "strong".

This is the problem right here, boss. Most people staggeringly overestimate their ability to write.

Don't overthink: simple structure, simple language, focus on the important point you need to convey. Then edit until you've erased everything that didn't need to be said.

1 hour ago, Naj said:

My personal theory is that most PS's do more damage than good

+1

Edited by FellowTraveler