U of C v Osgoode

Alli306

Alli306
  • Law Student

Really thrilled to have gotten into both! 

I am a native from Sask but when to school at Dalhousie and my entire family is back out west. I have lived in Toronto for two internships and love the city. I would have to pay living expenses and tuition in either one. Pretty set on corporate law but if went to U of C I would feel the pull to do the duel Can/USA degree for energy law but if I ended up at Osgoode I would focus more on capital markets and M&A. Not sure either has a huge advantage and am looking for opinions on why one might be better than the other. 

Where do you want to practice when you graduate? It is almost always best to study in the jurisdiction you wish to practice in. 

Beyond that point I'd add that you should be careful of the dual degree program. If I'm remembering correctly they pair you with a rather poorly ranked school in Houston. Someone from Calgary can speak to this better than me but overall I don't see much of an advantage in that. 

Having said that, if you want to work in O&G, by all means go to UofC. If you like corporate work pick Osgoode. You're analysis was correct and those are certianly the respective strengths of those schools. 

If you're unsure of which you want, let the location you want to end up in be the tiebreaker. 

• Like 1