when do we get hireback decision (articling)

Garfield

Garfield
  • Articling Student

^ title. anyone have any idea when we find out? I know this might be firm/industry specific so if you don’t mind, state your area of law. 

OzLaw16
  • Lawyer

It will definitely depend on the type of firm - the big Bay Street full service firms all have a pretty consistent hireback process every year, whereas smaller firms will likely vary from year to year based on what the market and their particular needs look like that year.

I articled at a large Bay firm and I think I found out about 4-5 weeks before my articling term ended (which was in the middle of May).

Psychometronic
  • Lawyer

Downtown Vancouver firm decisions tend to go out some time between end of February and April-ish. 

Edited by Psychometronic

1 hour ago, Psychometronic said:

Downtown Vancouver firm decisions tend to go out some time between end of February and April-ish. 

agreed. also heard rumors that the larger firms are pushing back their hireback decisions until later to better assess the economy and their needs. 

Hayesy-B
  • Lawyer

As others have said, it really depends on the firm. I think I found out I was going to be offered an associate position about halfway through articles, but I wasn’t formally offered the position until about a month before I finished articling.