Clerkship Interviews 2024-2025

whoknowsnoti

2 minutes ago, capitalttruth said:

Calls for the FCA went out last week? If I didn't get a call last week, can I consider myself out of the running?

I didn't apply so the info I have comes from this forum. From what I understand, it's a long process at the FCA, and the judges are calling people in as they go along. It seems like it's not unusual to get a call several days after others. Would have to confirm with those who experienced it last year, but I don’t think you should worry for now?

• Like 1

• Articling Student
13 minutes ago, capitalttruth said:

Calls for the FCA went out last week? If I didn't get a call last week, can I consider myself out of the running?

Definitely not! Each judge at the FC and FCA run their own individual interview processes. They will each interview 7-10. And candidates on each judge's shortlist will usually be emailed at the same time. So if you didn't hear from a judge that sent out emails last week, you are probably not on their list. But you may be on others. Judges from both courts will be interviewing until the end of February, so don't stress!

Edited by 23512351

CommeCiCommeCa
  • Articling Student
18 minutes ago, capitalttruth said:

No, it's still very early. Emails will go out for the FCA for the entire month. Each judge does their own hiring. Some judges who are early to look at the candidate pool will have started sending out email invites for interviews, others will do it later in the month. Last year, some FCA interviews took place as late as the first week of March. 

lawnerd5050
  • Articling Student

Any news on the SCC front? I still haven’t heard of anyone who has heard anything, which seems odd.

LegallyGGinger
  • Lawyer
1 minute ago, lawnerd5050 said:

Can you confirm when? 🙂

Got it at 11:16am via email! As did a few friends.

4 minutes ago, Maelica said:

Do they usually all go out at the same time?

No, but the same day. I’ll cry after 8 PM, not before that. 😂😭

• Like 3

Maelica
  • Law Student
Just now, Pioupiou said:

No, but the same day. I’ll cry after 8 PM, not before that. 😂😭

Thanks! I'll just keep stressing all day then 😂😅

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

cpsklrz
  • Articling Student

Anyone still receiving SCC emails, or do we think it's over?

Edit: And congrats to everyone who got one! 

Edited by cpsklrz
  • Like 2

cpsklrz
  • Articling Student
3 minutes ago, 23512351 said:

just got one too! I believe the emails are alphabetical and I am in the last 1/3!

Amazing, congrats! Appreciate the reply.

lawnerd5050
  • Articling Student

For those who have heard, have you received panel interviews, single judge interviews, or both? 

notnotadog
  • Lawyer
Just now, lawnerd5050 said:

For those who have heard, have you received panel interviews, single judge interviews, or both? 

There's Martin and Kasirer on behalf of the panel, Cote and Brown together, and Rowe alone available.

• Like 1

• Articling Student
1 minute ago, lawnerd5050 said:

I have all!

dragoncandyshark
  • Law Student

Sorry, first time applicant. does that mean that there could still be interviews for the other judges or does the panel interview for the judges not mentioned?

whoknowsnoti
  • Law Student

Calling anyone who has interviewed with ONCA both successfully and not, any tips or recommendations? It seems like such a limited amount time to asses candidates!

• Articling Student
24 minutes ago, dragoncandyshark said:

Sorry, first time applicant. does that mean that there could still be interviews for the other judges or does the panel interview for the judges not mentioned?

No - unfortunately, the panel will interview for the rest of the six judges.

• Thanks 1

LegallyGGinger
  • Lawyer
27 minutes ago, whoknowsnoti said:

Calling anyone who has interviewed with ONCA both successfully and not, any tips or recommendations? It seems like such a limited amount time to asses candidates!

My interview was super casual. Most people prepare the cases they send you as if they’re mooting them. I did that, and I don’t regret it, but about 2 minutes into my interview the judges just agreed with me and moved on to more fun questions.

Obviously there’s huge variance by interviewer. But if you get Paciocco, I would just relax and be candid.

feel free to DM if you want to talk

notnotadog
  • Lawyer
Just now, LegallyGGinger said:

My interview was super casual. Most people prepare the cases they send you as if they’re mooting them. I did that, and I don’t regret it, but about 2 minutes into my interview the judges just agreed with me and moved on to more fun questions.

Obviously there’s huge variance by interviewer. But if you get Paciocco, I would just relax and be candid.

feel free to DM if you want to talk

Interesting how experiences differ so much! I interviewed twice at ONCA. My first time, we talked about the case for maybe a single minute. The second time, we talked about the case for probably half the interview and they probed me repeatedly on my position (in a friendly way).

anonanony
  • Lawyer

are all the SCC interview offers confirmed to be out? I know a few current appellate court clerks/gold medalist types who haven't heard back and it seems crazy that they wouldn't even get interviews. maybe they have changed their selection criteria this year

• Sad 2

notnotadog
  • Lawyer
1 hour ago, anonanony said:

are all the SCC interview offers confirmed to be out? I know a few current appellate court clerks/gold medalist types who haven't heard back and it seems crazy that they wouldn't even get interviews. maybe they have changed their selection criteria this year

I haven't heard of them taking multiple days in the past but who knows. I know extremely impressive candidates that inexplicably didn't get an interview.

• Like 1

anonymous9999
  • Lawyer

Received an SCC interview invite this morning!!! So they may still be sending them out! For some strange reason they must have decided to spread interview invites over 2 days this year? Either that or my invite was just accidentally not sent yesterday for some reason. Good luck to all! 

• Like 3