Clerkship Interviews 2024-2025

whoknowsnoti

avocato
  • Law Student
1 hour ago, capitalttruth said:

During my first FC interview yesterday, the Justice was surprised I hadn't received more interviews. Activity on here seems pretty light as well, maybe most justices are just late this year in their interviewing. Keep your head up. 

I had a FCA interview last week and the Justice had the same reaction to me. 

Does anyone know what will happen with Justice Brown's interviews, given his leave of absence from the Court? Will Justice Côté do them for both?

LegallyGGinger
  • Lawyer
1 hour ago, Pioupiou said:

Does anyone know what will happen with Justice Brown's interviews, given his leave of absence from the Court? Will Justice Côté do them for both?

Can't say for sure, but mine was with Côté alone today, as was a friend's.

StareDecisive
  • Law Student

Has anyone heard from BCSC/BCCA about second interviews? The interviewer said in round 1 that we’d hear back this week.

dragoncandyshark
  • Law Student

On FC/FCA: got an invitation for an interview last week saying the selection process for the 2024-2025 Federal Court of Appeal clerkships is now finished.

But still getting invitations to interview for the FC (got two this morning). Must be nearing the end though.

• Like 1

uofzoomlaw
  • Law Student

16 hours ago, dragoncandyshark said:

On FC/FCA: got an invitation for an interview last week saying the selection process for the 2024-2025 Federal Court of Appeal clerkships is now finished.

But still getting invitations to interview for the FC (got two this morning). Must be nearing the end though.

FC for sure still coming out as of today (got an interview today)!

On 2/20/2023 at 11:17 PM, capitalttruth said:

Has anyone heard from the SCJ, either Ottawa or Toronto?

From what I've heard Toronto interviews are out - no idea about Ottawa though

2022clerkapp
  • Articling Student

did anyone ask in their SCC interview when we will hear back if successful? I presume end of day friday as usual, but given the interview notifs going out over 2 days this year I’m wondering if calls will be non-standard too

33 minutes ago, 2022clerkapp said:

did anyone ask in their SCC interview when we will hear back if successful? I presume end of day friday as usual, but given the interview notifs going out over 2 days this year I’m wondering if calls will be non-standard too

They said that the calls will all be made at the same time, that it should be Friday but that sometimes the discussions extend over the weekend, so Monday at the latest.

avocato
  • Law Student

Does anyone know when FCA offers will go out this year? I'm assuming if SCC is Feb 24, FCA will probably be March 3?

capitalttruth
  • Law Student

For anyone receiving interviews from the FC/FCA this year, how is your French? I am rather disappointed that I've only received one interview so far. I can't really see why I wouldn't get any more - the only sticking point is my lack of French.

avocato
  • Law Student
4 minutes ago, capitalttruth said:

For anyone receiving interviews from the FC/FCA this year, how is your French? I am rather disappointed that I've only received one interview so far. I can't really see why I wouldn't get any more - the only sticking point is my lack of French.

I've only gotten one as well. My reading/writing skills in French are very strong but I have only basic oral/listening skills. I'm from McGill which means a lot of people assume my French is better than it is. So I don't know that it's necessarily a language thing. I wonder if some of the judges are simply interviewing fewer candidates this year.

CommeCiCommeCa
  • Articling Student
1 hour ago, avocato said:

Does anyone know when FCA offers will go out this year? I'm assuming if SCC is Feb 24, FCA will probably be March 3?

A judge told me that they're waiting on the SCC to finalize their offers and that the FCA offers will be coming out shortly thereafter, but wasn't sure of the exact date. The judge seemed to hint it would be soon (i.e. some time next week), so I would also guess that March 3rd will be the call day for the FCA (and the FC judges who have interviewed candidates before that date), based on that info and last year's timeline. 

• Like 2

ts1989
  • Law Student
8 minutes ago, avocato said:

I wonder if some of the judges are simply interviewing fewer candidates this year.

How many interviews do FC/FCA judges usually do? 

Similar question for the SCC - does anyone know how many interviews each SCC justice does? (or in the case of the committee, the committee as a whole I guess)

14 minutes ago, anon moose said:

Similar question for the SCC - does anyone know how many interviews each SCC justice does? (or in the case of the committee, the committee as a whole I guess)

I was told around 120 for the committee. 

• Articling Student

I'm currently at the Federal Courts at the moment - and can confirm that the SCC has told the FC/FCA, ONCA, and BCCA that they will be making offers this Friday on the 24th (presuming deliberations do not go into the weekend). Once selection is finalized, they will be sending their list of chosen candidates to each court. The  FC/FCA, ONCA, and BCCA will then take the week to adjust their selections and make offers to candidates who did not receive an SCC offer on March 3rd.

The one week apart system was implemented last year to make it easier for the non-SCC courts to make their selections, and my sense is that this coordination between courts is here to stay.

Edited by 23512351
  • Like 2

• Articling Student
5 hours ago, ts1989 said:

How many interviews do FC/FCA judges usually do? 

Depends on the judge but typically 7-10, give or take.

2022clerkapp
  • Articling Student
10 hours ago, Pioupiou said:

I was told around 120 for the committee. 

Just logistically I would be very surprised if it is that many given that they usually only do 3 days of interviewing, 4 max. 50-60 would make more sense, maybe 75 tops. 

1 hour ago, 2022clerkapp said:

Just logistically I would be very surprised if it is that many given that they usually only do 3 days of interviewing, 4 max. 50-60 would make more sense, maybe 75 tops. 

They are doing four days, and I was told that by someone who was part of the internal process last year. Perhaps it changed a bit this year, but 50-60 doesn't seem very realistic, as a 1:3 or 1:4 ratio is way too low. 

Régis Lateur
  • Law Student

Does anyone know what kind of questions FCA judges ask during interviews? I have an interview with one of them tomorrow and I have absolutely no idea what to expect. My previous interview with a FC judge really threw me off, we ended up talking about hockey 😂 (but it still went well).

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

SaskyPride
  • Law Student
30 minutes ago, Pioupiou said:

They are doing four days, and I was told that by someone who was part of the internal process last year. Perhaps it changed a bit this year, but 50-60 doesn't seem very realistic, as a 1:3 or 1:4 ratio is way too low. 

ONCA does a 1-3 ratio (interviews about 60 for 19 spots). It's hard to believe SCC would need more interviews when they essentially can pick and choose the best candidates. 

Windsorhopeful
  • Articling Student
2 hours ago, SaskyPride said:

ONCA does a 1-3 ratio (interviews about 60 for 19 spots). It's hard to believe SCC would need more interviews when they essentially can pick and choose the best candidates. 

3 hours ago, Pioupiou said:

A 1:3 or 1:4 ratio is actually super reasonable considering the difficulty of getting to that stage; those students have great grades, great experiences, etc. There is no need to have a higher ratio at all. It would be waste of their time. 

Also 100 interviewees at 15 minutes a piece is literally 25 hours without breaks or discussion after interviews. There is no way. I think 1:3 or 1:4 is a good guess.

Edited by Windsorhopeful