Clerkship Interviews 2024-2025

whoknowsnoti

uofzoomlaw
  • Law Student
15 hours ago, 23512351 said:

I'm currently at the Federal Courts at the moment - and can confirm that the SCC has told the FC/FCA, ONCA, and BCCA that they will be making offers this Friday on the 24th (presuming deliberations do not go into the weekend). Once selection is finalized, they will be sending their list of chosen candidates to each court. The  FC/FCA, ONCA, and BCCA will then take the week to adjust their selections and make offers to candidates who did not receive an SCC offer on March 3rd.

The one week apart system was implemented last year to make it easier for the non-SCC courts to make their selections, and my sense is that this coordination between courts is here to stay.

Thank you for this information! Question about co-ordination between FC/FCA: do the offers go out at the same time? Or does FCA go first? 

• Articling Student
31 minutes ago, uofzoomlaw said:

Thank you for this information! Question about co-ordination between FC/FCA: do the offers go out at the same time? Or does FCA go first? 

The Chief Justices of the FCA and FC will pick first. After that, the rest of the FCA judges will make offers one by one (through the clerkship coordinator). Once they are finished, the FC will make their offers in the same manner. Applicants will have the weekend to accept their offers. If offers are not accepted, second round offers will go out early that week.

Editing to say that the judges pick in order of seniority.

Edited by 23512351
  • Like 2

uofzoomlaw
  • Law Student
31 minutes ago, 23512351 said:

The Chief Justices of the FCA and FC will pick first. After that, the rest of the FCA judges will make offers one by one (through the clerkship coordinator). Once they are finished, the FC will make their offers in the same manner. Applicants will have the weekend to accept their offers. If offers are not accepted, second round offers will go out early that week.

Thank you! Say you get an FC offer, but were second choice for an FCA judge. If their 1st choice doesn't accept (say, got another appellate offer), would you get the choice still if you accept the FC? Does that make sense? 

CommeCiCommeCa
  • Articling Student
13 minutes ago, uofzoomlaw said:

Thank you! Say you get an FC offer, but were second choice for an FCA judge. If their 1st choice doesn't accept (say, got another appellate offer), would you get the choice still if you accept the FC? Does that make sense? 

Once you accept an offer, it is accepted. If you happen to end up in this type of situation, email the clerkship coordinators, they are lovely folks and can provide you with as much information as possible to help you make your decision. 

For example, if you received an FC offer, you don't have to accept it on the spot. So you could email the FCA clerkship coordinator and ask if an offer might still be coming your way from them before firmly accepting at the FC. 

Edited by CommeCiCommeCa
  • Like 1

uofzoomlaw
  • Law Student
31 minutes ago, CommeCiCommeCa said:

Once you accept an offer, it is accepted. If you happen to end up in this type of situation, email the clerkship coordinators, they are lovely folks and can provide you with as much information as possible to help you make your decision. 

For example, if you received an FC offer, you don't have to accept it on the spot. So you could email the FCA clerkship coordinator and ask if an offer might still be coming your way from them before firmly accepting at the FC. 

Thank you! Very helpful 🙂 

• Like 1

FCA Clerkship
  • Lawyer
1 hour ago, 23512351 said:

Just to correct this post slightly. The FC and the FCA will start making offers at the same time (noon on March 3, 2023). While each court works on the basis of seniority, starting with the CJ, their approaches are not coordinated; the FCA does not select in advance of the FC.

Also, please keep in mind that because of the rules surrounding seniority, offers may be on hold for a few days for some judges. If you don't get a call on Friday, it doesn't necessarily mean that you won't get an offer over the next few days, or even that you aren't someone's first choice. The coordinators may simply be waiting for the more senior judges to complete their selection before moving down the list.

Regardless, if you have any questions about the process, please do reach out to the coordinators of either court. They are indeed lovely people and will do their best to give you as much information as possible about where you stand.

• Like 6

• Articling Student

I'll just add that you can even ask the clerkship coordinators if there is a likelihood you will be selected. I had a friend do that in the past and it helped them make their decisions. They are extremely nice people.

Edited by 23512351
  • Like 3

capitalttruth
  • Law Student
9 minutes ago, 23512351 said:

I'll just add that you can even ask the clerkship coordinators if there is a likelihood you will be selected. I had a friend do that in the past and it helped them make their decisions. They are extremely nice people.

I can do this? @FCA Clerkship

Last week, I called the FC clerkship co-ordinator and asked where I was on the judge's list of candidates and they said they couldn't share that information.

• LOL 2

CleanHands
  • Lawyer
2 minutes ago, capitalttruth said:

I can do this? @FCA Clerkship

Last week, I called the FC clerkship co-ordinator and asked where I was on the judge's list of candidates and they said they couldn't share that information.

Dude, if they've already directly told you they won't give you this info don't ask again just because someone on the Internet suggested it. You have your answer.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

• Articling Student

The FCA coordinator will be able to tell you if there is a good chance or not that you will get a call, if selection is over, etc. They will not tell you exactly how you were ranked.

Also I would assume you absolutely cannot ask before March 3rd.

Edited by 23512351
  • Like 2

TheChosenOne
  • Lawyer
12 minutes ago, CleanHands said:

Dude, if they've already directly told you they won't give you this info don't ask again just because someone on the Internet suggested it. You have your answer.

This made my day. 

• Nom! 1

FCA Clerkship
  • Lawyer
5 minutes ago, 23512351 said:

The FCA coordinator will be able to tell you if there is a good chance or not that you will get a call, if selection is over, etc. They will not tell you exactly how you were ranked.

Also I would assume you absolutely cannot ask before March 3rd.

This is the correct answer. For many reasons, the coordinators cannot tell you anything until offers start coming out. But they do not enjoy extending your misery. If they can give you hope, or rip off the Band-Aid quickly, they will. 

• Like 3

capitalttruth
  • Law Student
19 minutes ago, CleanHands said:

You mean advice on the internet isn't abundantly clear or truthful 100 percent of the time? Someone lied to me!

Edited by capitalttruth
  • LOL 1
  • Nom! 1

annn2024
  • Applicant
14 hours ago, lawstudent104 said:

Anyone hear back about second round interviews for BCSC?

BCSC second round interviews just came out.

lawstudent7291
  • Law Student

Does anyone know if judges during interviews will hint on whether they liked you or not? 

Edited by lawstudent7291
  • LOL 1

capitalttruth
  • Law Student
2 hours ago, lawstudent7291 said:

Does anyone know if judges during interviews will hint on whether they liked you or not? 

One tried to feed me chips through the computer. Does that count?

• LOL 2

notnotadog
  • Lawyer
Just now, Pioupiou said:

From who? The committee? 

I don’t want to say who as it’s identifying! But they have started. 

• Like 1

whoknowsnoti
  • Law Student

For ONCA, is there absolutely any way of even getting a sniff of whether or not you did well? My judges were nice.. like almost too nice, and the conversation was so casual that I almost don't understand how they select from the 60 candidates? What are they even looking for at this stage? Vibes?

Windsorhopeful
  • Articling Student
16 minutes ago, whoknowsnoti said:

For ONCA, is there absolutely any way of even getting a sniff of whether or not you did well? My judges were nice.. like almost too nice, and the conversation was so casual that I almost don't understand how they select from the 60 candidates? What are they even looking for at this stage? Vibes?

I wouldn't look into it. A student in my class a few years ago boasted and bragged to the class about how he had so many clerkship interviews and his ONCA interview was so friendly that the discussion focused on movies and music. He thought he was a shoe in. Needless to say, he did not get a clerkship anywhere. On the other side, I got in an argument during the interview for the clerkship I ended up getting; there's no way of really knowing exactly what they're looking for. There's no crystal ball.  

• Like 2