Osgoode vs LASL

aE_

aE_
  • Applicant

I've been accepted to both Osgoode and LASL for Fall 2023. I'm leaning towards Osgoode but thought I'd ask anyway. Which would you choose?

A little background: I hope to work in corporate/big law for a few years after law school to get experience and eventually settle down and open up my own solo practice. I currently work in the real estate industry and I'd probably want to keep working in the real estate industry in the future. Although, I am going into law school with an open mind and keeping my options open so we'll see where I end up in the future. 

On paper, Osgoode is obviously the better school and has always been my first choice. I've spoken to a few lawyers as well as students from each school and the feedback I've been getting is very mixed. Many have told me that TMU's hands-on practical approach to law school is very beneficial. While others have told me that Osgoode's clinical options are great and will provide the same (or better) experience but at a more established school. The other benefit I see with LASL is the ability to practice law without articling. Does this give an edge after graduating? I have heard from others that Big Law firms will still require students to article. 

P.S

For Oz students/alumni, how did you like living in the North York area? That is another reason I am even considering attending TMU.

CleanHands
  • Lawyer
5 minutes ago, aE_ said:

Many have told me that TMU's hands-on practical approach to law school is very beneficial. While others have told me that Osgoode's clinical options are great and will provide the same (or better) experience but at a more established school.

The latter is without question true. Oz wins in this category and this isn't even a contest; Oz has the best selection of clinical opportunities of any law school in the country and TMU is fledgling law school with limited opportunities that they simply made mandatory and engaged in marketing nonsense to spin this as if that makes them not just equivalent but even superior to established schools.

7 minutes ago, aE_ said:

The other benefit I see with LASL is the ability to practice law without articling. Does this give an edge after graduating? I have heard from others that Big Law firms will still require students to article. 

Any reputable post-graduation job in Canada will still require you to article. And although the pay sucks, recent grads tend to really underappreciate how useful and important the articling experience is.

There may be legitimate reasons for some students to choose LASL over Oz but the factors you raise certainly don't qualify as such.

• Like 6

LMP
  • Law Student

CH already answered you well, so I'll just chime in about living in North York. 

Personally I really like it, I find living close to school enjoyable. It is a good mix of ammenaties and space. Having said that loads of people live in Toronto and commute, the subway station on campus makes it easy. If you choose to live on campus you get a pretty sweet deal.

I'd also be careful in assuming you get to skip articling. The friends I have at LASL have all had to take articling positions (in either name or practice). 

• Like 2

BlockedQuebecois
  • Lawyer

TMU hasn’t even put a single graduate out into the world yet, so it’s difficult for me to see how anybody can sincerely weigh in on whether its “hands-on practical approach to law school” is at all helpful. 

• Like 1

aE_
  • Applicant

Thank you all for such a detailed response to my questions! This has been super helpful in settling my mind and eliminating any doubts I had.

• Like 2