Grades/Ottawa Recruit

LegallyOttawa

LegallyOttawa
  • Law Student

I am worried about how I am going to secure a job given my grades. For context, I have applied to the Ottawa recruit and am a student at uOttawa. I’ve decided to change up my strategy so hopefully going forward I will have A’s to offset the C’s, but am I completely screwed for finding a 2L summer job? If I am able to manage a B+ average with mostly B+’s going forward, will the articling recruit be more in my favour?

1L Grades:
Torts: B
Contracts: B+
Property: B
Crim: C
PubCon: C+
Legal foundations: C+
Elective: B+
DRPR: A-

2L: B+,B+, B,B, C+

Edited by LegallyOttawa

• LegallyOttawa changed the title to Grades/Ottawa Recruit
CleanHands
  • Lawyer

Odds are not in your favour, but you clearly know that.

Ultimately what's done is done and you have nothing to lose but a bit of time working on applications by applying.

LegallyOttawa
  • Law Student
2 minutes ago, CleanHands said:

Odds are not in your favour, but you clearly know that.

Ultimately what's done is done and you have nothing to lose but a bit of time working on applications by applying.

What do you think I can do to more likely secure a 2L job despite my grades?

Are jobs outside the recruit less focused on grades?

Edited by LegallyOttawa

CleanHands
  • Lawyer
8 minutes ago, LegallyOttawa said:

What do you think I can do to more likely secure a 2L job despite my grades?

Are jobs outside the recruit less focused on grades?

Jobs outside the recruit certainly can be less focused on grades, and being able to show a demonstrated interest in the practice area(s) of firms you apply to can be even more important than grades for some such positions.

As far as the formal recruit goes, unfortunately grades are the initial screening criteria so there's not much you can do to compensate in order to secure interviews. But if you receive any interviews that means that your grades were not a barrier to entry so you can highlight other strong aspects of your profile.

Edited by CleanHands

chagrin
  • Law Student

Hey, I'm late here but I'll leave this piece of advice because it might help you or anyone else scrolling: networking. I know, I know--the dreadful word. But really, it works. I know someone who got a BigLaw job with straight Cs because they networked so well that they were friendly with a partner who pulled their application and demanded to the recruitment committee that they interview them. They were so lovely, they got the job. And they were one of the best students in our group. 

So if your grades aren't great, network. Be friendly, be someone people want to be around. And yes, be someone interesting with cool non-grade-focused experience.

I hope this doesn't find you too late! 

Edited by chagrin
  • Thanks 1