Indigenous Category 2023: When will we hear?

Glaucon
  • Law School Admit

Hi friends,

This is just a thread to share and discuss info relevant to Indigenous Category applicants. I’m among them, and I know I’m starving for some info at least.

Just a general query, does anybody have any evidence on when Allard starts making decisions on Indigenous Category applicants? I’ve been told I shouldn’t hold out until April, but I haven’t found any data that speaks to this either way.

Other questions and info is welcome here. There’s a dirth of info on the Indigenous Category on these forums. 

Best of luck everybody!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Hegdis pinned this topic
elle102
  • Applicant

Hi there, 

I was told the admissions committee will be meeting in March. 

Also if you don't mind sharing, what is your LSAT score and your GPA? 

I don't know any other Indigenous students applying and admissions says it varies each year so they couldn't really give me specific numbers, and it's really scary not knowing where I stand. 

Thanks for starting this and good luck!!

• Thanks 1

Glaucon
  • Law School Admit
32 minutes ago, elle102 said:

Also if you don't mind sharing, what is your LSAT score and your GPA? 

I don't know any other Indigenous students applying and admissions says it varies each year so they couldn't really give me specific numbers, and it's really scary not knowing where I stand. 

Thanks for starting this and good luck!!

Hey nwnw.

Please keep in mind tho, my numbers may not at all be a representative signal. 

LSAT: 166

GPA: 81.1% after drops (UBC undergrad).

Softs: Finishing a humanities MA with a big external scholarship; executive role in my undergrad students’ assoc; worked in an educational non-profit in undergrad. So decent to good.

I think my personal statement was quite good, and my commenters (all law adjacent students and profs) thought so too. 

I should also say, Allard says they don’t have a specific number of seats for Indigenous students, so I don’t think you + me and the other Indigenous applicants are in zero-sum competition with one another based on index scores. That said, I have very little insight into the review process for this category, so if you have any information I may be missing, do share.

• Like 2

Megjackson
  • Law Student

I'm applying under Indigenous as well and it didn't occur to me that the indigenous category would be assessed separately, I just assumed that they would be looked at in the same queue as the other categories with the indigenous components also being looked at. Do we all get our applications looked at together? 

elle102
  • Applicant

55 minutes ago, Glaucon said:

Hey nwnw.

Softs: Finishing a humanities MA with a big external scholarship; executive role in my undergrad students’ assoc; worked in an educational non-profit in undergrad. So decent to good.

I think my personal statement was quite good, and my commenters (all law adjacent students and profs) thought so too. 

I should also say, Allard says they don’t have a specific number of seats for Indigenous students, so I don’t think you + me and the other Indigenous applicants are in zero-sum competition with one another based on index scores. That said, I have very little insight into the review process for this category, so if you have any information I may be missing, do share.

Wow that's an amazing LSAT score, congratulations!

On the August LSAT I scored a 155. I rewrote it in January, so I'll find out in a few days how I did. I had been PTing at 163 but my test didn't go well :(( 

My GPA with drops is 86.46% 

I'm happy with my personal statement. I did a lot of volunteering and work supporting Indigenous students throughout my time at UBC, but this is obviously more subjective, so I can't say for sure if it will resonate with the admissions committee (so anxiety-inducing lol) . 

I've spoken to two individuals on the admissions committee. Apparently there are around 30-100 applicants each year (an average of 60). Some are rejected immediately because their scores are too low and do not demonstrate that they will be able to successfully complete their JD. From my understanding, however, it is also based on the pool of applicants. For example, I asked if my 155 LSAT score paired with my GPA would be competitive and I was told it was competitive for the Indigenous category but how competitive depends on the pool of applicants this year and what their scores are. 

Again, this is just what I was told and I don't 100% know but thought I should share :))

Edited by elle102
  • Like 1

Glaucon
  • Law School Admit
On 1/28/2023 at 6:49 PM, Megjackson said:

I'm applying under Indigenous as well and it didn't occur to me that the indigenous category would be assessed separately, I just assumed that they would be looked at in the same queue as the other categories with the indigenous components also being looked at. Do we all get our applications looked at together? 

Some schools like UManitoba say in their handbook that they compare all categories on index score first, and admit the best scorers. But I’ve never heard of a school reading over our entire files as part of the normal admissions rounds. Unless some of us are scoring in the 170s with strong A GPA’s, it seems like many of us will heard back a little later than most of the general applicants.

Glaucon
  • Law School Admit
On 1/28/2023 at 6:51 PM, elle102 said:

On the August LSAT I scored a 155. I rewrote it in January, so I'll find out in a few days how I did. I had been PTing at 163 but my test didn't go well :(( 

I'm happy with my personal statement. I did a lot of volunteering and work supporting Indigenous students throughout my time at UBC, but this is obviously more subjective, so I can't say for sure if it will resonate with the admissions committee (so anxiety-inducing lol) . 

I've spoken to two individuals on the admissions committee. Apparently there are around 30-100 applicants each year (an average of 60). Some are rejected immediately because their scores are too low and do not demonstrate that they will be able to successfully complete their JD. From my understanding, however, it is also based on the pool of applicants. For example, I asked if my 155 LSAT score paired with my GPA would be competitive and I was told it was competitive for the Indigenous category but how competitive depends on the pool of applicants this year and what their scores are. 

Again, this is just what I was told and I don't 100% know but thought I should share :))

Ok, good to know that our peers will set the standard for what counts as a competitive index score. I was just meaning, I don’t think they set a number, like 60 admits, then boil one’s entire file down to a weighted number and take the top 60 scorers. To some degree this is what’s going on in the general category, but I was thinking they’d be a bit more flexible here about how many people get admitted.

Just a bit of encouragement, I think your file sounds great if you get a 160+ January score. I understand that it’s stressful waiting though. I was lucky and got 166 back in October, so I thought that’d be good enough to apply with. Your GPA though is amazing and I think deep involvement with the indigenous community at UBC counts for a lot. There’s a reason they specifically ask you to comment on this stuff in your file. 

And just on the LSAT, I have a close friend who scored a 157 on his first try, then got a 169 just a month later. And test day always feels harder than the practice tests. I hope you get an amazing score!

Jade
  • Applicant
On 1/26/2023 at 7:42 PM, Glaucon said:

Hi friends,

This is just a thread to share and discuss info relevant to Indigenous Category applicants. I’m among them, and I know I’m starving for some info at least.

Just a general query, does anybody have any evidence on when Allard starts making decisions on Indigenous Category applicants? I’ve been told I shouldn’t hold out until April, but I haven’t found any data that speaks to this either way.

Other questions and info is welcome here. There’s a dirth of info on the Indigenous Category on these forums. 

Best of luck everybody!

omg hi I'm Indigenous category too 🙂 I wanted some info too and I called admissions and the girl was like "oh Indigenous applicants hear back in March"... so I emailed Lee Schmidt (ILS Associate Director) and she said they will review your application once your final LSAT score is in. and she said basically hopefully they can get it together before march, sometime in Feb. hope that helps and good luck!! :))

Jade
  • Applicant

I applied in Indigenous category with 152 and 79% average. I'm very nervous I won't get in and it makes me sad that I might have to move away from home and family. I got into Osgoode and UVIC JD/JID program as back ups. They're so far away though 😞 . Feeling a little sad because I don't think I did better than a 152 on my January LSAT.

On 1/28/2023 at 3:51 PM, elle102 said:

Aw it's okay ❤️ good luck and don't stress about the bad test! you have a really good GPA!! and a 155 is a competitive LSAT score according to the ILS associate director Lee Schmidt. fingers crossed for you hehe so much anxiety tho for sure msg me if you need to vent LOL

Jade
  • Applicant
On 1/28/2023 at 3:11 PM, Glaucon said:

Hey nwnw.

congrats on finishing your masters that's awesome!

elle102
  • Applicant
2 hours ago, Jade said:

I applied in Indigenous category with 152 and 79% average. I'm very nervous I won't get in and it makes me sad that I might have to move away from home and family. I got into Osgoode and UVIC JD/JID program as back ups. They're so far away though 😞 . Feeling a little sad because I don't think I did better than a 152 on my January LSAT.

I'm sending luck and good energy your way!! I'm also anxious about the January LSAT but I know we got this 🤞 There are more to our applications than GPA and LSAT scores and I bet that will shine through. If you need to rant at all I'm also here ❤️

• Hugs 1

Glaucon
  • Law School Admit
On 1/30/2023 at 8:43 PM, Jade said:

Aw it's okay ❤️ good luck and don't stress about the bad test! you have a really good GPA!! and a 155 is a competitive LSAT score according to the ILS associate director Lee Schmidt. fingers crossed for you hehe so much anxiety tho for sure msg me if you need to vent LOL

Hey thanks so much for adding more info to this thread. It’d be amazing if we could hear back by Feb, and hopefully it’s all good news. 

I’m feeling the same about UBC. I’m dating a student there and I’d be really sad if I couldn’t go back. Worst case-scenario, think UVIC is a great backup though. You’d have cheaper tuition and housing for the most expensive year, and you could apply to transfer back to UBC for second year, which seems like common practice. This is my backup anyways - if I don’t get UBC I’ll hopefully get UAlberta then try to transfer back to UBC in second year. The uncertainty is scary, so I would be thrilled if we hear back before March. But in any case, I’m sure you’ll find a way to overcome whatever challenges are thrown your way.

Btw, make sure you’re calculating with UBC’s drops, just in case you weren’t. My GPA is 79% too, but it goes up to 81% after drops, which feels a lot better.

• Hugs 1

Glaucon
  • Law School Admit

Update: I just got my acceptance.

Freaking out; I thought it would take longer.

I received the email with both the general acceptance message and an attached acceptance letter specifically from Indigenous Legal Studies, which means I probably wasn’t just admitted through the normal general review, and the indigenous specific review process is under way.

I wish you so much luck to the other applicants!

• Like 4

elle102
  • Applicant
6 minutes ago, Glaucon said:

I received the email with both the general acceptance message and an attached acceptance letter specifically from Indigenous Legal Studies, which means I probably wasn’t just admitted through the normal general review, and the indigenous specific review process is under way.

I WAS ALSO JUST ACCEPTED. 

I am also freaking out. I literally don't believe it hahaha; I am shaking and in shock. I was told I wouldn't hear until March and then I saw on here that we would hear after our last LSAT but I didn't think it would be two hours after getting back my January score.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

• Like 3

Glaucon
  • Law School Admit
7 hours ago, elle102 said:

I am also freaking out. I literally don't believe it hahaha; I am shaking and in shock. I was told I wouldn't hear until March and then I saw on here that we would hear after our last LSAT but I didn't think it would be two hours after getting back my January score.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Huge congrats! What a crazy feeling. I guess I’ll see you in September!

Jade
  • Applicant
On 2/1/2023 at 11:21 AM, Glaucon said:

congratulations that is awesome!! I unfortunately did not hear back but regardless I'm proud of you hehe what an amazing accomplishment! Congrats!

On 2/1/2023 at 11:32 AM, elle102 said:

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

WOW congratulations to you too! SO SO PROUD! You both are going to do awesome and should be so proud. Excited for you both ❤️

• Like 1

Glaucon
  • Law School Admit
11 hours ago, Jade said:

congratulations that is awesome!! I unfortunately did not hear back but regardless I'm proud of you hehe what an amazing accomplishment! Congrats!

WOW congratulations to you too! SO SO PROUD! You both are going to do awesome and should be so proud. Excited for you both ❤️

Thank you so much!!!

I’m hoping for you; we’re still super early in the cycle. Keep us updated!

• Hugs 1

• 1 month later...
Glaucon
  • Law School Admit

Hey everyone.

I just learned something that could be a huge help to incoming indigenous students.

If you’re an indigenous students who’s been accepted to ANY Canadian law school, USask offers two summer courses ONLINE for you to get a head start on 1L. You can do your 1L property course May-June, and the equivalent of UBC’s ‘Indigenous Settler Relations” June-August. Doing at least the property course would reduce your course load and (hypothetically) improve your performance in 1L.

Apply here.

https://indigenouslaw.usask.ca/ilc-summer-program.php

Note, if you do both summer courses your first sem 1L course load will be classified “part-time”, which may mess with funding, scholarships, etc. Just bear that in mind.

Speaking of funding, contact your nation’s government if you haven’t already. Lots of indigenous students get funded by their governments. 

Just learned all this from the director of indigenous legal studies at ubc this week. Contact her if your worried about the credits being recognized.

• Like 1

Jade
  • Applicant

I'm pretty sure only the property law course counts for credits. But you have to take both the summer courses together. The other course looks really interesting though. And FYI for the UVIC JD/JID program the property law course does not count for credits because it isn't transystemic, but if you're in the JD program then it will count.

6 hours ago, Glaucon said:

Hey everyone.

I just learned something that could be a huge help to incoming indigenous students.

If you’re an indigenous students who’s been accepted to ANY Canadian law school, USask offers two summer courses ONLINE for you to get a head start on 1L. You can do your 1L property course May-June, and the equivalent of UBC’s ‘Indigenous Settler Relations” June-August. Doing at least the property course would reduce your course load and (hypothetically) improve your performance in 1L.

Apply here.

https://indigenouslaw.usask.ca/ilc-summer-program.php

Note, if you do both summer courses your first sem 1L course load will be classified “part-time”, which may mess with funding, scholarships, etc. Just bear that in mind.

Speaking of funding, contact your nation’s government if you haven’t already. Lots of indigenous students get funded by their governments. 

Just learned all this from the director of indigenous legal studies at ubc this week. Contact her if your worried about the credits being recognized.

Glaucon
  • Law School Admit

Good tip on the JD/JID equivalencies.

The head of indigenous studies at ubc gave me slightly different info on two points. She said I could just take one course through USask without the July-August course being mandatory, and for UBC at least, if one were to take both USask courses, both would count for credit. “Setting it right” from USask counts for UBC’s “Indigenous Settler Relations”, which is a mandatory 1L course.

This was from an off the cuff conversation though so I’ll update once I heard back from USask. I applied for the program and plan on taking Property from May-June.

Edited by Glaucon

Jade
  • Applicant

ohhhhh yes sorry you're completely right!

13 hours ago, Glaucon said:

Good tip on the JD/JID equivalencies.

The head of indigenous studies at ubc gave me slightly different info on two points. She said I could just take one course through USask without the July-August course being mandatory, and for UBC at least, if one were to take both USask courses, both would count for credit. “Setting it right” from USask counts for UBC’s “Indigenous Settler Relations”, which is a mandatory 1L course.

This was from an off the cuff conversation though so I’ll update once I heard back from USask. I applied for the program and plan on taking Property from May-June.

it's only students who are going to U of S that have to take both courses but other students can just take the one!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
2easy
  • Applicant

Any other indigenous care to post there stats, I would like to know the grades I would need to get for next year, to get in.