Grades after articling in Big Law

4.3GPA

4.3GPA
  • Articling Student

How important are your 3L+ grades after receiving an articling offer from a Big Law firm? I hear the firm in which you article in does not pay much attention to them after articling, but they could be important if you lateral or don't get hired back. Am I correct in my assessment? 

lawfacade123
  • Law Student

I think you are correct. I heard your articling firm won't care at all, but if you don't get hired back/lateral as a junior your grades are likely going to be a factor. 

AHLALA
  • Lawyer

Up to ~3 year, big law firms will ask for your transcript when you apply (from what I have heard from laterals); maybe even later. 

How much weight does the grades have? I don't know. 

Lawstudents20202020
  • Lawyer

Just to add on, if you are lateralling within big law, while grades absolutely are considered, you did have good enough grades to get into big law the first time and theres nothing you can do to change them at this point so it's really not worth worrying about. 

• Thanks 1