2L Job in Big Law Vancouver - How many hours a week?

traintogo

traintogo
  • Law Student

I will be working for a big law firm in downtown Vancouver this summer and was curious about what the hours are like? I have had mixed answers from students from my firm and other firms!

I am asking because I would like to do my Masters in Law down the line, so want to maybe do a part-time research position this summer along with my 2L job. 

lawfacade123
  • Law Student

You got mixed answers, because there are mixed answers. I know people who worked long hours all summer and I know people who didn't do much most of the time. The answer for you is going to depend on (1) how busy your firm is, particularly in your areas of interest, and (2) how much you drum up work for yourself, depending on how your firm distributes work.

If you're just looking for more data points: I was probably in the office a little under 40 hours a week. I had a pretty relaxed experience with a couple peaks of being busy here and there.  

MissRepresented
  • Lawyer

You might want to confirm whether this is even allowed. During regular articles the LSBC Rules prohibit any other employment (I think you can apply for an exception but imagine there would need to be a pretty solid reason). I don't know if there is a similar rule for temporary articles.

Edited by MissRepresented

chilly
  • Law Student
On 1/30/2023 at 4:27 PM, MissRepresented said:

You might want to confirm whether this is even allowed. During regular articles the LSBC Rules prohibit any other employment (I think you can apply for an exception but imagine there would need to be a pretty solid reason). I don't know if there is a similar rule for temporary articles.

OP must obtain LSBC approval for it. It'll take time--they took months to OK my continuing my RA work over the summer. Not that I had much time for it, anyway.

OP, it'll depend on those things lawfacade mentioned plus also maybe the size of your summer cohort.

If it's a LLM in the future you're considering, what about doing that research work in 3L? Be careful not to spread yourself too thin.

Psychometronic
  • Lawyer

https://www.lawsociety.bc.ca/becoming-a-lawyer-in-bc/admission-program/articling-centre/details-of-articling/#:~:text=During the articling term and,attending PLTC is not advised.

Employment outside of articles

During the articling term and while you are enrolled in PLTC, you are not permitted to accept employment from any person other than your principal or a person to whom your articles are seconded, except with the approval of the Law Society. Working at your firm while attending PLTC is not advised.

Any employment outside of articles must have the principal's consent, be performed outside normal office hours, and in no way interfere with your articles or commitment to PLTC. You must first apply to the Law Society for approval in advance of engaging in any employment outside of articles.

• 2 months later...
chaboywb
  • Lawyer

Sorry to dig up this post, which I found based on your other thread - however, in the other thread you seem to be asking whether you technically can, rather than whether you should. I want to respond to the latter because I'm surprised nobody else jumped on it.

You should do everything in your power to not work a second job while being a big law summer student. Summer students have occasional, or even frequent, slow weeks, without a doubt. But you're expected to fill that time by participating in firm culture, attending events, working on non-billable projects, self study, etc. And the unpredictability of files will not align with having a second job. There are few things that will have a serious, long-term effect on your reputation at a firm, but saying "sorry, I'll be out of pocket this evening as I have to work on something for my other job" will not fly. I could see a firm choosing not to extend an articling offer over this, and that is exceedingly rare.

Big law students are paid well - not because they know much but because they are expected to always be available. Have you seen that Paul Hastings slide that's gone viral? It's not correct, but it's not entirely incorrect either...

If anyone else has done or seen this and disagrees with me, then I'd welcome that point of view. But I think you're going to do more harm than good if you decide to do this.

• Like 3