U of C vs U of A vs Dal

MaebyFünke

MaebyFünke
  • Law School Admit

Fortunate to have gained acceptance to U of C and Dal. Still waiting to hear from U of A. Did my undergrad at U of A and have a lot of professional connections in Edmonton. Definitely not looking to do corporate law, but otherwise I am pretty open to finding what I like once in school. My partner is based in Edmonton and is unable to move with me - so that's a big factor. I'm also pretty broke and will be funding my schooling through loans and hopefully some bartending during law school. As such, I'm leaning towards staying in Alberta over relocating. 

I did work the election in Halifax in 2021 and absolutely loved the city. However, I know the cost of living there is considerably higher. I would also have much more expensive housing costs, have to finance my move, etc. I would ultimately like to return to Alberta after graduating. 

Is there any significant reason that I should consider going to Dal despite it being more costly and harder on my personal life? I have heard great things about their program but I'm unsure if that difference is substantial enough to warrant uprooting my life. 

Any input is appreciated! 

Phaedrus
  • Lawyer

For reference: Dal's total fees are $21,535.21 (2022), UofC's are $16,640 (2022), and UofA's are $18,597.26 (2022). You'll find more fulsome responses elsewhere here, but the primary considerations for where to attend school boil down to cost, connection to area, and expected practice location. Canada doesn't really have a tiered law school system (unless you ask someone from UofT...), and most will tell you that you'll receive a fine legal education where ever you go. Obviously, Ontario schools place a greater number of students on BayStreet but that doesn't seem to be your aspiration. 

If you're planning to article and practice in Alberta, it simply makes more sense to go to one of their law schools. You'll learn more regionally-relevant law and (hopefully) practice tips. You'll also have access to clinics and trial practice courses to get hands-on experience learning where you'll practice. It'll also make it easier to expand your professional network.

Your family and major connections will be a 3 hour drive away. That's a hell of a lot better than 6-12 hours worth of flights. 

Dal's the most expensive, but they talk a lot about their grants/bursaries.

The decision seems clear to me, but I'm not you. The thought of moving away for a few years can be very alluring, especially if a person hasn't branched out on their own before. It can force you to grow in ways you never expected. That said, I don't see anything at Dal that's enough to outweigh all the other factors weighing in favour of UofC or UofA. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Pittielynn
  • Law Student

Honestly,

Seeing that your partner wouldn't be able to come, how expensive Dal is, how expensive rent is in Halifax (I know of people who were spending 3k+ and I know of people living in air BnB due to the hosing shortage here), and the fact that you intend to return to Alberta, I would not at all ever recommend Dal for you. I think you will have a better experience and a larger support network closer to home.

Edited by Pittielynn
  • Thanks 1