UOttawa versus Dalhousie

applicant2023

applicant2023
  • Applicant

I have no location preferences for my post-law school career, but I am from Ontario (4 hours from Ottawa). I know there are posts about both of these schools, but I am hoping to get some fresh information. My interests are mainly in both criminal and international law, as well as judicial work (clerkship) - I have no corporate interests. I am hoping to hear about people’s experiences at theses schools, the community, the courses, basically anything you would say is relevant. 

ArchivesandMuseums
  • Articling Student
15 hours ago, applicant2023 said:

I have no location preferences for my post-law school career, but I am from Ontario (4 hours from Ottawa). I know there are posts about both of these schools, but I am hoping to get some fresh information. My interests are mainly in both criminal and international law, as well as judicial work (clerkship) - I have no corporate interests. I am hoping to hear about people’s experiences at theses schools, the community, the courses, basically anything you would say is relevant. 

3L at uOttawa here. If you like international law, the common law section at uOttawa is a quite good choice as uOttawa, I believe, offers larger selection of courses on international law than Dalhousie law does. 

For the judicial clerkship placement, uOttawa places students pretty well at SCC/FCA/ONCA.

Regarding criminal law, I would say that both schools will be fine.

Best of luck with your decision!

applicant2023
  • Applicant

Thank you for your insight! I really appreciate it. 

How would you describe the community at uOttawa? I have spent my undergrad at a really big university (McGill polisci) where my department’s community is a bit impersonal because we are so large. I am hoping to go to a law school where the community is close knit and where I can make some good friends in my field. 

Also, have you found summer work in your specific interest area in Ottawa? Ideally, I will stay the summers wherever I go to school and find some local work. I know that Ottawa places incredibly well for fed jobs, but I wonder if being in Nova Scotia  where there’s only one law school serves as an advantage because the legal market is potentially less saturated (and so less competitive¿). Hopefully this is worded well, basically I want to know if Ottawa is the better location to start building my resume. 

Thanks in advance! 

5 hours ago, ArchivesandMuseums said:

3L at uOttawa here. If you like international law, the common law section at uOttawa is a quite good choice as uOttawa, I believe, offers larger selection of courses on international law than Dalhousie law does. 

For the judicial clerkship placement, uOttawa places students pretty well at SCC/FCA/ONCA.

Regarding criminal law, I would say that both schools will be fine.

Best of luck with your decision!

Edited by applicant2023

ArchivesandMuseums
  • Articling Student
4 hours ago, applicant2023 said:

Thank you for your insight! I really appreciate it. 

How would you describe the community at uOttawa? I have spent my undergrad at a really big university (McGill polisci) where my department’s community is a bit impersonal because we are so large. I am hoping to go to a law school where the community is close knit and where I can make some good friends in my field. 

Also, have you found summer work in your specific interest area in Ottawa? Ideally, I will stay the summers wherever I go to school and find some local work. I know that Ottawa places incredibly well for fed jobs, but I wonder if being in Nova Scotia  where there’s only one law school serves as an advantage because the legal market is potentially less saturated (and so less competitive¿). Hopefully this is worded well, basically I want to know if Ottawa is the better location to start building my resume. 

Thanks in advance! 

I love my school, but uOttawa law does not have a close-knit community mostly because of its large size. I believe that you can find good friends here as well, but if you prefer a close-knit community, Dalhousie law will be a right choice for you.

I did not work in Ottawa for my summer jobs, but getting in good positions in the Ottawa market would require good grades, although good grades will be necessary for any legal jobs.

I think that you need to decide where you would practice.

Honestly speaking, I think that you'd better to choose Dalhousie law over uOttawa law; At least in my view, attending Dalhousie law may look like a more competitive law student.