Discretionary Hopes

KimuraGrip
  • Law School Admit

Just received a 166 for January's LSAT (159 in June, cancelled, 161 in October, underperformed) and have roughly 84 percent for my cPGA with drops (it's hard to calculate my drops since I got 78% for an 18 credit program in my first year). I did my undergrad at ubc, have two solid references (two profs, one solely academic reference, the other is academic but also professional since I did some researching work for him), and I believe a good personal statement that explains why I am a discretionary applicant and why I am a good fit for Allard. I am really hoping to get into Allard as my entire life is really tied to the city and I am very passionate about building my career here. I also applied to UVic this cycle under their inclusive category but that's it. 

My index is not bad for the regular category but I am hoping for an offer in any case. I wonder when the next wave of admissions will come in and if I really have a shot since the LSAT and law school world is becoming increasingly competitive with the score and GPA bubbles. Just the hopes of a discretionary applicant.

• Like 1

totaldcky
  • Law School Admit

I am also an applicant so take my opinion with a grain of salt!

Your stats are at or above the median for the regular category, and honestly I would not be surprised if you got an offer along with other general applicants sometime in the next few weeks/months. If not, you will be assessed with other discretionary applicants around May and I would say you are likely a highly competitive discretionary applicant. Assuming your supplementary docs are solid, I think you have a great chance.

Congrats on the LSAT score today!

• Like 1

GoatDuck
  • Law Student

Someone with the same LSAT score and a lower GPA just got accepted into UBC. Barring other major issues with your application, I think you have a very good shot. 

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
stillnapping
  • Applicant

I just want to say that *if* for some reason you don't get accepted with the general applicants and you don't get accepted with the discretionary crowd (only 20 spots and tiny waitlist), make sure you call or email the admissions office asking to be placed on the general applicant waitlist. I had similar stats and was not successful in the discretionary application but they were able to place me on the waitlist for general app and admitted me later as a result. 

• Like 1

KimuraGrip
  • Law School Admit

I was accepted on Feb 13 with a few others from the discretionary applicant category so I thankfully do not need to employ your useful advice. My application portal turned the "Type" from discretionary to general so I believe I was given a general offer. I wonder why you were not admitted earlier with roughly 166 and 84.  I especially wonder why you were not admitted in the discretionary category since those stats would be strong because they're already at the median for the general category.

• 2 months later...
Matcha-ingintoLaw
  • Applicant

Hoping to ask that @stillnapping if you were waitlisted in discretionary or rejected before asking to be placed on general waitlist. Thank you! 

elle.woods
  • Law Student

If it helps, I was accepted late last year (summer off the waitlist) with a 166 LSAT and a 84.5% CGPA. General category.