JD/PhD Political Science joint degree program?

tiredlychii

tiredlychii
  • Undergrad

Does anyone here have experience with or know anything about the joint degree JD/PhD political science program at UofT? I checked the website, but I would really like to learn more about people's experiences with it. Has anyone here gone straight from undergrad into the joint degree program? This doesn't have to be just for political science, I'd like to hear about people's experiences with the other JD/PhD joint degree programs too.

vital_signs
  • Law Student

I think doing this is really rare so you might not have any luck finding someone with experience on here. I know someone doing the Philosophy joint program, but don't know anyone doing this one. I recommend you email Assistant Dean Faherty (who is listed as the contact on the program page) and see if she can arrange for you to contact an alumni, current student, or the faculty advisor for the program.

GoatDuck
  • Law Student

I know a few people in the JD/PhD in Philosophy and I'm accepted into the JD/PhD in Philosophy for the next year. I think the core idea of the JD/PhD is roughly the same for all programs at UofT. Feel free to dm if you have any questions. 

mandamus
  • Law Student

I was accepted into the JD/PhD program in Political Science, but decided not to pursue the PhD part-way into my 1L year. I did an MA before law school, so not sure how difficult it is to be admitted straight from undergrad. 

I agree that reaching out to Sarah Faherty is probably a good idea - I'd also recommend reaching out to the Political Science Department (maybe try the Graduate Program Director? Their contact information should be on the department's website). When I was accepted into the program, they connected me with someone who had completed the JD/PhD program, so they might be able to do the same thing for you. 

Edited by mandamus

• 1 month later...
tiredlychii
  • Undergrad
On 2/6/2023 at 2:04 PM, mandamus said:

I was accepted into the JD/PhD program in Political Science, but decided not to pursue the PhD part-way into my 1L year. I did an MA before law school, so not sure how difficult it is to be admitted straight from undergrad. 

I agree that reaching out to Sarah Faherty is probably a good idea - I'd also recommend reaching out to the Political Science Department (maybe try the Graduate Program Director? Their contact information should be on the department's website). When I was accepted into the program, they connected me with someone who had completed the JD/PhD program, so they might be able to do the same thing for you. 

Sorry for the late reply on this. Thank you for the suggestion, I might reach out to these contacts too! Do you mind sharing why you decided not to get the PhD?