HELPPPP TRU or UCALGARY

harveyspecterrrr

harveyspecterrrr
  • Applicant

okay so I got into a couple schools so far and from those I narrowed it down to TRU or UCalgary. My offer for TRU expires on feb 13. im still waiting on other schools but if these two are my only real options, which one should I choose and should I put down a deposit on TRU??? Im from BC

Renerik
  • Law Student

You're asking us to make the decision for you without telling us anything about who you are, where your family/support system is located, your finances, where you want to work when you graduate, what field of law interests you. Start there, and you'll likely get better responses.

• Like 2

harveyspecterrrr
  • Applicant
16 hours ago, Renerik said:

You're asking us to make the decision for you without telling us anything about who you are, where your family/support system is located, your finances, where you want to work when you graduate, what field of law interests you. Start there, and you'll likely get better responses.

Sorry. Im from BC, close to Vancouver. My family lives here as well. I would like to stay close to the lower mainland when I graduate. Im leaning towards corporate law but I haven't made up my mind so thats pretty open

Lawstudents20202020
  • Lawyer
2 hours ago, harveyspecterrrr said:

Sorry. Im from BC, close to Vancouver. My family lives here as well. I would like to stay close to the lower mainland when I graduate. Im leaning towards corporate law but I haven't made up my mind so thats pretty open

Either school will be fine for that goal. It's about 15k more in tuition for TRU. 

If you have a life in the lower mainland I think the big plus to tru is that you can drive home fairly easily from Kamloops on a weekend. In upper years that can be particularly nice because you can work your schedule so that you are in class only a few days a week. There's plenty of TRU students that go back to the lml multiple times a month 

Calgary might be a bit trickier. 

I think the question is whether access to home is worth 15k to you 

Edited by Lawstudents20202020

Chewy
  • Law School Admit

"I think the question is whether access to home is worth 15k to you"

And whether you can see yourself living in Kamloops for 3 years. 

Lawstudents20202020
  • Lawyer
1 hour ago, Chewy said:

"I think the question is whether access to home is worth 15k to you"

And whether you can see yourself living in Kamloops for 3 years. 

Honestly Kamloops is a pretty great place to go to school. Everyone is from out of town and lives close to the school so there's plenty of fun to be had. Plus sun peaks and cheap golf 

harveyspecterrrr
  • Applicant
6 hours ago, Lawstudents20202020 said:

Either school will be fine for that goal. It's about 15k more in tuition for TRU. 

If you have a life in the lower mainland I think the big plus to tru is that you can drive home fairly easily from Kamloops on a weekend. In upper years that can be particularly nice because you can work your schedule so that you are in class only a few days a week. There's plenty of TRU students that go back to the lml multiple times a month 

Calgary might be a bit trickier. 

I think the question is whether access to home is worth 15k to you 

I was actually leaning towards Calgary because I feel like it'll be easier to come home especially in winter months because I would get a flight instead of having to drive. But I get what ur saying too 

• Like 1

Chewy
  • Law School Admit
5 hours ago, harveyspecterrrr said:

I was actually leaning towards Calgary because I feel like it'll be easier to come home especially in winter months because I would get a flight instead of having to drive. But I get what ur saying too 

That's smart actually. The Coquihalla is an absolute nightmare to navigate in the Winter. Flights are cheap between Vancouver/Abbotsford and Calgary.

9 hours ago, Lawstudents20202020 said:

Honestly Kamloops is a pretty great place to go to school. Everyone is from out of town and lives close to the school so there's plenty of fun to be had. Plus sun peaks and cheap golf 

I'm still traumatized by family visits to Kamloops when I was a kid. Sun Peaks is a bonus though. 

• LOL 1