Mcgill vs UBC

ProudCrocodile

Darth Vader
  • Lawyer

Correct me if I am wrong, but even from U of T don't you need grades in the top 10-20% of your class to be competitive for US big law? Most Canadian lawyers I see working in the US right out of law school are from U of T. 

HammurabiTime
  • Lawyer
7 hours ago, Darth Vader said:

Correct me if I am wrong, but even from U of T don't you need grades in the top 10-20% of your class to be competitive for US big law? Most Canadian lawyers I see working in the US right out of law school are from U of T. 

I'm aware of people from my cohort below that range that ended up in NY. A lot of people opted not to bother who would have had the grades.

This of course may no longer be the case since the pay bumps that came after my time at UofT and I understand in the last year or two they've sent a much larger number of students south of the border.

Rashabon
  • Lawyer
8 hours ago, Darth Vader said:

Not really. And if you get hired into Canadian big law first your grades matter even less.

tiktok
  • Law Student
13 hours ago, PzabbytheLawyer said:

Yes. I definitely know some there now with those grades. You shouldn't bank on it though. They're the exceptions not the rule. 

But, it seems generally you're far safer being at least top 30 percent, or with a 3.15-3.2 ish after your second year (which for McGill, is the summer you interview on the regular 3.5 year timeline).

A 3.2 at McGill after your 2L is very possible to pull off if you do like most, and write term papers and take non law courses to pad your 2L.

If you were a schmuck like me and not do that, you'll still be fine. But you'll be worse off than if you'd just followed the majority.

I expect my GPA after 2L to be 3.0. I will be writing two term papers this summer. Any chance of doing NY OCI during 3L if I am planning on graduating in 3.5

PzabbytheLawyer
  • Lawyer
1 hour ago, tiktok said:

I expect my GPA after 2L to be 3.0. I will be writing two term papers this summer. Any chance of doing NY OCI during 3L if I am planning on graduating in 3.5

PM me.