Orientation (former 1Ls please answer!)

szilvia_101

szilvia_101
  • Applicant

Hi everyone!

I’m hoping a McGill law student can answer these questions for me.

I was wondering what is the typical date for orientation? The 2023 calendar hasn’t been posted yet but I’m assuming it’s going to be Monday August 28th based off last year’s calendar. If it is this date, I will be out of the country and won’t be able to make it. Can any former 1Ls let me know if it’s a big deal if I can’t be there? I’m aware it’s not ideal but is there any really important that’s given during orientation that I can’t miss?

Edited by szilvia_101

• szilvia_101 changed the title to Orientation (former 1Ls please answer!)
WiseGhost
  • Law Student

It'll be fine. Some people weren't at orientation last year for similar reasons. 

That being said, orientation week and frosh were both great experiences. If you can drop in halfway through, I think it's still worth showing up 🙂

groovyzeitgeist
  • Law Student

Orientation is in late August/early September. Its honestly not a huge deal at all if you miss it, I had friends who missed it. You just need to inform the SAO prior to the start of the semester that you won't be attending. This is so they can come up with a remedial assignment for you (this is because, at the end of our orientation week (called integration week), we normally have a short reflection assignment to complete and submit). Like WiseGhost said, if you can show up, its great! If not, its not the end of the world. 

Hope this helps! :)

• 3 weeks later...
Portalis
  • Law Student

There is orientation and Integration workshop week. You can totally miss orientation, as it is just a bunch of campus resources giving presentations. As for integration workshop, it is part of a pass/fail class that lasts the whole academic year. Attending the various presentations can be very interesting, but it is not necessary to pass the class. Generally, at the end of the integration workshop week, there is an assignment, which in the past years has a case summary. As my classmates above have said, it would be a good idea to contact the integration instructor so that you can get a makeup assignment. 

Hope this helps and feel free to DM me 🙂

• 2 weeks later...