TMU Law School - Cons?

lawsch
  • Law School Admit

I got accepted into this law school, and I intend to go primarily because I want to stay in Toronto and save money by living at home. I have not received an acceptance from Osgoode or UofT yet, but I’m waiting on a response. My question is how disadvantageous is it to go to a new school like TMU? Has anybody heard any horror stories from TMU students that they can share? Is it better to go to other lower-tier schools (ex. Windsor) that are more established? Or is TMU the better option due to location? Most students I’ve talked to have only good things to stay, but I’m curious to hear other opinions.

• Like 1

I certianly don't think there would be any horror stories. If you look past all the nonsense buzzwords that the administration throws around you'll find a perfectly serviceable law school. 

It has drawbacks like any school, including fairly unimpressive numbers in the recruit, a lack of dedicated clinical options (though I hear this is changing quickly) and a only the beginnings of an alumni network. 

Seems like a good choice for you, though I'm saying this having only the limited information you provided. 

• Like 1

Turtles
  • Law Student
44 minutes ago, LMP said:

I certianly don't think there would be any horror stories.

Ask the guy who made it to the front page of the Globe and Mail for going from US prison to landing in Ryerson's first-year law cohort before dropping out and quickly launching a $3,000,000 human rights complaint. Of course the human rights complaint was against the school, not the prison. So Ryerson Law was not just worse than prison, but $3M of suffering worse, to at least one person.

I kid, kinda. 

But then he lost completely, not too surprising given his claim was more than 10x the highest award ever issued by the Tribunal, which may make you FURTHER wonder about the quality of instruction he received...

Edited by Turtles

QueensDenning
  • Articling Student
9 hours ago, Turtles said:

Ask the guy who made it to the front page of the Globe and Mail for going from US prison to landing in Ryerson's first-year law cohort before dropping out and quickly launching a $3,000,000 human rights complaint. Of course the human rights complaint was against the school, not the prison. So Ryerson Law was not just worse than prison, but $3M of suffering worse, to at least one person.

I kid, kinda. 

But then he lost completely, not too surprising given his claim was more than 10x the highest award ever issued by the Tribunal, which may make you FURTHER wonder about the quality of instruction he received...

Have you read anything about that guy? From my reading of the situation, it was him who was the horror story - not the school. I have zero sympathy for that ingrate. 

• Like 1

CleanHands
  • Lawyer
49 minutes ago, QueensDenning said:

Have you read anything about that guy? From my reading of the situation, it was him who was the horror story - not the school. I have zero sympathy for that ingrate. 

By my reading of his post, I don't think @Turtleswould disagree.

And yes, the guy in question is an absolute top tier piece of shit (and anyone who doesn't recognize that is blinded by ideology to the point of loss of all ability to reason). TMU does deserve flack for that situation, but only for admitting and throwing money at a clearly totally undeserving and unqualified applicant for cynical PR reasons.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Turtles
  • Law Student
1 hour ago, QueensDenning said:

Right, and the OP is asking what cons might exist for a school like Ryerson. The selection criteria of the cohort might not be doing a great job. The very basics of the training (re. civil procedure, tort, or even ethics) didn't seem too impactful given the nonsensical claim. Worse, it seems people trained at Ryerson now have the lowest % of court/tribunal wins (0%) compared to people from any other Canadian law school (now I kid).  

I would imagine nobody post-1L from osgoode or queens would pull that kind of nonsense -- or at least, so I hope.  

• Like 1

CleanHands
  • Lawyer
4 minutes ago, Turtles said:

The very basics of the training (re. civil procedure, tort, or even ethics) didn't seem too impactful given the nonsensical claim.

To be fair to TMU about their quality of education, while critical about their admissions/selection process: according to his classmates on reddit at least, the guy in question pretty much never attended any classes, put in zero effort, and failed 1L twice. You can't polish a turd. The guy has absolutely zero interest in learning anything because he thinks he already knows everything and is the one who should be teaching everyone else--despite his humiliatingly embarrassing performance in law school he still has the gall to advertise himself as an "Access to Justice Consultant" on LinkedIn. lol

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

2 hours ago, CleanHands said:

And yes, the guy in question is an absolute top tier piece of shit (and anyone who doesn't recognize that is blinded by ideology to the point of loss of all ability to reason). 

In fairness, there are probably also people who wouldn't to recognize that in writing, because he sounds incredibly litigious. 

• Like 2

Rashabon
  • Lawyer
7 hours ago, Turtles said:

I would imagine nobody post-1L from osgoode or queens would pull that kind of nonsense -- or at least, so I hope.  

This is a pretty naïve take given the ridiculous claims filled and actions taken by lawyers all the time around this country.

• Like 2