Things I could have done in those 9 months waiting for an admission decision

Munk29

Pendragon
  • Lawyer

@Squeen, your arguments are fair. However, OP came at this from the perspective of privilege and socioeconomics and now mentions "white privilege." I don't know why they keep talking about socioeconomics and privilege when stats have been shown that McGill has a very diverse class and the percentage of the class that is first gen and low-income is in line with Quebec's population demographics. 

OP, I have a similar background to you and am frankly annoyed that you are painting people from such backgrounds in the negative light you are. Stop assuming that the people commenting here are White and privileged. Many low-income and first gen students are competitive applicants to Canadian law schools. The fact that you are not a competitive candidate does not mean that low-income and first gen students as a whole are being kept out of law school admissions. There are plenty of first gen and low-income students in law school and many lawyers from such backgrounds as well. We are in 2021 and the lawyer population reflects the breadth and diversity of Quebec and Canada as a whole. 

53 minutes ago, Munk29 said:

if you’re a lawyer spending their weekend arguing with applicants to a school you’ve never been to, I wouldn’t like to be you nor receive any “advice” from you.

Shocked Schitts Creek GIF by CBC

Well then! 

• Like 5
  • LOL 4

LMP
  • Law Student
2 hours ago, Munk29 said:

False, you are implying things I never said 😉 You should work on your anger issues 💕

I find this perennial response to any comments over two lines long annoying. 

We get it, you aren't capable of expressing ideas or thoughts. That's fine, it takes time. Perhaps this is why McGill has been so slow to respond.

• Like 1
  • Nom! 3

Goblin King
  • Law Student
1 hour ago, Munk29 said:

All I see is white/privileged people who’ve been triggered tbh

This forum (and its predecessor) disproportionately attracts people who are first generation law/university students and from my two years lurking on the previous forum, quite a few people of colour (including myself). That makes sense, given that people who are clueless about the application process are less likely to be in privileged positions. I think you'll find that this forum is likely more diverse than the average Canadian law school class. I don't really fault you for not knowing this. 

The larger problem I have with your remark here is your implied discounting of the fact that POC and those from underprivileged backgrounds can take different positions on issues related to social privilege. You have no clue of your opponents' backgrounds, and yet because their opinions differ from yours, you assume their backgrounds are markedly different. There isn't one absolute way to be POC or socially underprivileged and it's annoying when you narrow such a diverse array of experiences down to a singular position as you've done. I firmly disagree with much of what @QueensDenning said about the value of diversity in law school, but their experience as a person of colour is no less valid than mine and their position is equally representative of what people of colour think on a given subject as mine is. Further, I can't ascribe their opinion to any purported privilege without actually knowing their background. TL;DR: you can't tell if someone is white/privileged by any of the posts here. There are obvious exceptions to this, but I don't see anything glaring in the post history. 

• Like 4

MSK2021
  • Lawyer
On 7/16/2021 at 1:37 PM, Munk29 said:

Embodying diversity by the way one looks (i.e white or brown kid evolving in a predominantly white and privileged area and who internalized white narratives without potentially questioning it ) is not the same as actually breaking the norms of where law students “should” come from and I think that is my interpretation of diversity. 

I'm not a fan of the assumptions baked into this response but I do accept the premise that diversity can present itself in many ways. On the old forums I sometimes made a point of trying to emphasize that it is rather simplistic to assume that you can know anything of value about anyone by looking at the colour of their skin, knowing where they were born, where they live, or whatever else.

But, in defense of the point I was making, my assertion is that there is no shortage of diversity (of the actual/deep variety) amongst people who are more likely to be able to accept an offer of admission at this late stage in the application process. Some of these people will be incredibly privileged but there will also be many people who are less privileged. However, my point is that how much privilege you have doesn't matter as much as whether your particular privileges and disadvantages allow you to accept the offer. For instance, whereas you can construe the fact that some applicants already live in Montreal as a privilege, some of these applicants may be unable to leave the city and they may regard other applicants' ability to move as a form of privilege.

If I can say a bit more, I was involved in admissions a while back. I can't tell you how exactly they go about things now, but I can say that I have a sense of the organizational culture and norms that tend to pervade. I can also imagine in which direction they've moved as a result of events in recent years. From what I've seen, the diversity agenda is more focused at the front end of the admissions process and admissions people are quite excited about "breaking the norms of where law students 'should' come from," as you put it. Really, admissions work can be boring and, as a result, the people who do it professionally try to find meaning in their lives by reassuring themselves that they're advancing the quest for cosmic justice or whatever else. If you have stats that are roughly competitive, an unconventional profile, and a compelling personal statement, you can expect an offer of admission early on in process.

• Like 1

artsydork
  • Lawyer

@CleanHands all I'm saying is there is a time and place for everything. Start a thread in offtopic about diversity and equity instead of derailing. Or let it go. 

Why are y'all even trolling the McGill subforum? It seems it's just essentially looking to pick an internet fight. 

CleanHands
  • Lawyer
2 minutes ago, artsydork said:

@CleanHands all I'm saying is there is a time and place for everything. Start a thread in offtopic about diversity and equity instead of derailing. Or let it go. 

Why are y'all even trolling the McGill subforum? It seems it's just essentially looking to pick an internet fight. 

Pot, meet kettle.

Are you really suggesting your post wasn't derailing things further? Or that you weren't "looking to pick an internet fight" with your reaction gif and sass? Come on, dude.

Edited by CleanHands
  • Like 2
  • LOL 2
  • Nom! 1

• Lawyer
2 hours ago, Munk29 said:

^ nope, you can give your opinion of course. Just not make up data on what you’re assuming is going on in a school and admin you’ve never have to deal with 🙂 

All I see is white/privileged people who’ve been triggered tbh 😂

giphy.gif

QueensDenning
  • Articling Student
6 hours ago, Munk29 said:

^ nope, you can give your opinion of course. Just not make up data on what you’re assuming is going on in a school and admin you’ve never have to deal with 🙂 

All I see is white/privileged people who’ve been triggered tbh 😂

All of your posts make it clear to me why you haven’t heard back yet. Stop blaming others and their “white privilege” for your problems, work harder on your applications next year and maybe you won’t be waiting for a reply in July. I’m neither white nor privileged, but what is “triggering” me is your shitty attitude. Law schools don’t owe you anything. They’ll admit you if they think it’ll make their school look better (ie. if they think your gonna make a good lawyer). Their not charities, and you don’t deserve to be admitted because you’re a POC. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

CleanHands
  • Lawyer
5 minutes ago, QueensDenning said:

Stop blaming others and their “white privilege” for your problems, work harder on your applications next year and maybe you won’t be waiting for a reply in July. I’m neither white nor privileged, but what is “triggering” me is your shitty attitude.

If anything I've noticed that attitudes like this often tend to piss off POC (and other marginalized/disadvantaged people) who were admitted with meritorious stats more than anyone else. Which makes sense because the underlying implications of such positions basically disregard admitted POC's (/disadvantaged persons') accomplishments and sense of having properly earned their spots.

Edited by CleanHands
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Nom! 1

QueensDenning
  • Articling Student
8 hours ago, Munk29 said:

This is literally the only part of diversity I was originally referring to. First Gen and low income. You’re just validating my point by quoting this percentage. 

Right, because all first Gen and low income students want to/are competent enough to go to law-school??? 9% is a high percentage. I think I’m repeating myself now, but once again - expensive professional degrees are not something that anyone has a right to obtain, whether your rich & white or not. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

PCCL
  • Lawyer
1 hour ago, CleanHands said:

If anything I've noticed that attitudes like this often tend to piss off POC (and other marginalized/disadvantaged people) who were admitted with meritorious stats more than anyone else. Which makes sense because the underlying implications of such positions basically disregard admitted POC's (/disadvantaged persons') accomplishments and sense of having properly earned their spots.

Not to question your lived experience, and not to comment on the merits of anything else in this thread, but as a a POC who was admitted with meritorious stats, I am not pissed off and I think that guy should work harder next year too.

ccq35
  • Law Student

For what it's worth... just checked Minerva (McGill's admin system) and the mandatory 1L classes have between 177 and 181 registered students. It stands to reason that there aren't more than a small handful of remaining spots.

Munk29
  • Applicant
14 hours ago, QueensDenning said:

Their not charities, and you don’t deserve to be admitted because you’re a POC.

Again, and that’s the last time I say it: I never said I should be admitted because I’m a POC. I said that the school should honour their deadline, and that late admissions impacted more vulnerable students (on a socioeconomic level). That’s it. Stop inferring things I’ve never said just to spill your hatred on POC. 

• LOL 1

efrefgg
  • Undergrad
33 minutes ago, Munk29 said:

your hatred on POC

if you're gonna accuse other people of wrongfully reading things into your posts, you can't just read hatred into theirs.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Pendragon
  • Lawyer
1 hour ago, Munk29 said:

Again, and that’s the last time I say it: I never said I should be admitted because I’m a POC. I said that the school should honour their deadline, and that late admissions impacted more vulnerable students (on a socioeconomic level). That’s it. Stop inferring things I’ve never said just to spill your hatred on POC. 

The only racist in this thread seems to be you. You've unleashed racial hatred against both POC (like @QueensDenning) and Caucasians in this thread. Maybe check your own racism before you call others out on it. It's laughable that you jump immediately to racism and lack of diversity when things don't go your way. Many of the posters responded to you here are BIPOC themselves. No one is just pulling this out of their ass when they say it; some are older members from the previous forum who have met each other in real life. 

POC are calling out your nonsensical arguments and racism in this thread. That should tell you something.