FAQ on "Bay St Firms"

QueensGrad

BlushAndTheBar
  • Lawyer

It's at this point in time we need to decide if we are going to lend credence to Bob's/Dave's/Jim's (can't remember his name) Unofficial Bay St. Ranking from ls.ca LOL

24 minutes ago, QueensGrad said:

Let's try to keep this thread substantive and helpful, rather than get into a snarky discussion of whether the Seven Sisters phrase is legit. I think I adequately explained that this is an informal phrase that has meaning to some people but not everyone. 

It has no useful meaning to anyone in 2021 and is a terrible way to start a thread about Bay St firms. 

• Like 4
  • Nom! 1

QMT20
  • Lawyer

Personally, other than students I've only heard a partner at a non-"Seven Sister" Bay St firm and a recruiter at a non-Toronto office of a "Seven Sister" firm use the term. I'm not senior enough to really have an informed opinion on the value of the term but in my experience, partners at one of these firms are more likely to say "A, B, C, and D firms are the four big players in X area" than to describe firms as "Seven Sisters". 

That being said I think it's helpful to have the information out there especially since the OP notes it's an informal ranking and provides a lot of substantive information on Bay St, student experiences, recruitment, pay and everything. I think it's better for a student to read a post like this, know the term exists, and put it in context with Bay St in general than to hear about the term for the first time from their friends without any context. 

One thing you might want to add though is the PrecedentJD hireback watch. I know you talked about job security in the sense of hireback but I don't think you included a link. 

https://precedentjd.com/hireback-watch/toronto-wide-hireback-numbers/

• Like 7

QueensGrad
  • Lawyer
27 minutes ago, Jaggers said:

It has no useful meaning to anyone in 2021 and is a terrible way to start a thread about Bay St firms. 

On the contrary, in a FAQ thread it answers the question, "what is a seven sister firm", which is an inevitable sub-question to my Q1, "What is a Bay St firm?"

It would be great if you could add some Q&A and provide some useful content, and do so in a respectful manner (rather than telling me that it is "terrible" that I included an answer to an obvious question a student would have). For example, instead of saying it is "terrible", you might do the following Q&A addition, below (which maybe I should have done). Otherwise, I would appreciate it if you stayed out of this thread as I am trying to help law students and you are just a distraction. 

Q12: Does the phrase "seven sister" hold much weight besides being an informal grouping?

A: Not as much as it once did. As indicated above, a comparison of firms is not really possible, while practice group and/or individuals lawyers can be compared to a degree. Although many of the "Seven Sister" firms continue to attract high quality/high profile mandates, and are often highly ranked in various M&A league tables (which was the basis for the original grouping) in addition to holding many practice group rankings in publications like Chambers, many other firms have since increased their position in both the M&A and other legal markets. For example, Bennett Jones and Norton Rose consistently receive top M&A league table ranks. Additionally, Goodmans and Davies have not expanded nationally, possibly costing them certain competitive advantages that come with a presence in each of Canada's legal centres. Dentons is ranked 3rd on the global Acritas brand index. For an interesting (albeit perhaps now out of date) analysis of the legitimacy of this moniker, see this 2014 article: 'Seven sisters' no longer rule the Bay Street roost.

• Like 4

Dussy
  • Law Student

Re "Seven Sisters"- from my experience (which admittedly is limited), I hear the term thrown around by people not working in the profession. However, these same people could not name the seven firms they are referring to nor do they know the term's origins. 

I also have two lawyers in my extended family who occasionally use the term, but in the same sentence acknowledge the term is out of date and does not include many excellent firms. One of these lawyers is a partner at a full-service non 'Sister' firm, while the other is a young associate at a 'Sister'

• Like 1

Just wanted to add for anyone reading this thread:

Absolutely no one cares that you got a job at one of these firms, and they also do not even know the names of these firms, unless they are other law students/legal professionals.

All you should care about is you do work you like, and that you make money (if you care about money).

The prestige spoken of isn’t what you think it is. Don’t be blinded by the law school stigma of “bay st or bust”. Once you graduate, no one will give a crap, and all you have is you, yourself, and whether you are happy or not.

Do not choose a lifelong career based on the name of the place, or the fictitious aura that surrounds bay st firms, that is created by the perception of those in law school. That is a recipe for disappointment.

Edited by chicken
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

GGrievous
  • Law Student
15 minutes ago, QueensGrad said:

It would be great if you could ... provide some useful content

To be fair I think @Jaggers did. So now wouldn't it be useful to edit it and note the uselessness of the term? 

TobyFlenderson
  • Lawyer

There's a lot of potential value in this thread. Getting bogged down in the merits of an informal title distracts from the important information that students will be looking for in a thread like this. I have no Toronto/biglaw experience, so I can't comment on the usefulness of keeping the phrase/adding a disclaimer, but I've heard students use the term, so I can see why it was included in the OP. 

Let's stop with the personal attacks, though.

• Like 7

I would say this about the term:

Strangely, the term "Seven Sisters" seems to have caught on in some circles, though it is meaningless as a term today. The "Seven Sisters" are the seven firms that were on the top of a table one year in the early 2000s for deals advised on by volume. The seven firms are Blakes, Davies, Goodmans, Stikeman Elliott, McCarthy Tetrault, Osler and Torys. These are all highly reputable firms, though there is little that distinguishes them from the other large national or global firms in terms of the type of clients and mandates they serve, or the experience a summer or articling student may gain.

• Like 1
  • Nom! 2

QueensGrad
  • Lawyer
36 minutes ago, MaxPower said:

To be fair I think @Jaggers did. So now wouldn't it be useful to edit it and note the uselessness of the term? 

Unfortunately it looks like I cannot edit the original post (I do not seem to have an edit button) but hopefully Q12 above will satisfy everyone to clarify what "informal grouping" means in this context

OzLaw16
  • Lawyer

I don’t know if it’s a sign of a larger recent pattern or if it was just my particular peer group/students I interacted with, but I genuinely can’t remember a single student I spoke with while I was doing OCIs using the term “Seven Sisters.” Honestly, I might not have ever known that term existed if I hadn’t been an LS.ca lurker. 

Again, maybe I just had a unique experience, but it really feels like the “Seven Sisters” grouping is much more common in online discussions than it is in actual day-to-day student life. 

easttowest
  • Lawyer

Rashabon pointed out on the old site that there are meaningful differences between firms in the list plus a few others and other firms on the street. A simple example I can think of right now is a “sister” firm has sent its summers a brand new home office set up (laptop/keyboard/mouse/dock/headsetand two monitors) for WFH summer while another national firm has asked its summers to use their own equipment. 

Now, I don’t know everything about all firms and it’s possible that other “sisters” firm students are using their own laptops. But I doubt it.

• Like 1

A firm is asking a summer student to use their own laptop? We wouldn't even let someone in a call centre do that. The security nightmares could be endless.

• Like 3

easttowest
  • Lawyer
5 minutes ago, Jaggers said:

A firm is asking a summer student to use their own laptop? We wouldn't even let someone in a call centre do that. The security nightmares could be endless.

Yes and they are very well-known, in most major Canadian cities and most students would apply there if “applying broadly” in the recruit. 

• Like 1

• Lawyer

This is also another "Con" to be added and helpful for future readers to know, but please do not think you can work in Big law, pay off your debt, then jump ship into other unrelated practice areas like criminal defence/Crown, wills and estates, labour law, immigration, family, government, legal aid, etc. without starting all over again from the beginning. You will have to take a massive pay cut and reset your career and compete with other lawyers who have actually practiced in these areas since law school days.

If you are someone who is unsure if Big law is for you and are simply following the bandwagon and drinking the kool-aid, think long and hard about the repercussions of this in the long-term. Think about which doors you want to keep open and which ones you are ok with closing. Actually take the time to go through the practice area sections on the firm websites and see if they interest you or if you are more interested in other practice areas practiced outside of Big law. 

• Like 3

aflorrick
  • Articling Student
7 minutes ago, Jaggers said:

Last summer, students using their own laptops just connected remotely to a firm computer. No security issues - it really wasn't a big deal. 

easttowest
  • Lawyer
5 minutes ago, aflorrick said:

Last summer, students using their own laptops just connected remotely to a firm computer. No security issues - it really wasn't a big deal. 

Sure, it works fine, but getting a big box with all your fancy new office stuff hits different. 

There are other bougie soft perks like the charcuterie platters/bottles of champagne delivered to your home to celebrate hireback, catered snacks in the afternoons when we were actually in office, much larger event budgets for summer activities... at the macro level the firms all do similar work and are all quite good, but the differences are there when you get closer.

• Like 2

DonCorleone
  • Law Student

Anybody here familiar with Dickinson Wright? I noticed they recruit during the 2L cycle. It's a US based law firm with a Toronto office, but unlike other US firms (Paul Weiss) they seem to hire from schools other than U of T. Probably not as prestigious as Paul Weiss, but it looks like they do some interesting work. 

30 minutes ago, DonCorleone said:

Probably not as prestigious as Paul Weiss, but it looks like they do some interesting work. 

Don't worry about prestige.   Unless its a job with Morgans LLP or the SCC, it won't put food on your table or get you a job if you don't get hired back after articling.

Concentrate on trying to find out the areas of work they do, the training / experience you'll get working there and the firm culture and whether all of that is a good match to your own ambitions and personality.

Edited by Kurrika
  • Like 1

On 6/7/2021 at 2:40 PM, easttowest said:

Sure, it works fine, but getting a big box with all your fancy new office stuff hits different. 

There are other bougie soft perks like the charcuterie platters/bottles of champagne delivered to your home to celebrate hireback, catered snacks in the afternoons when we were actually in office, much larger event budgets for summer activities... at the macro level the firms all do similar work and are all quite good, but the differences are there when you get closer.

A temporary 12 week WFH set up and snacks/a charcuterie platter should not be a consideration for anyone in choosing a firm.

If these are the meaningful differences you speak of between bay st firms, you should reevaluate your outlook on career paths.

• Like 1
  • LOL 2