ITCs/PFOs Toronto Articling Recruit

everythingbagel

JustinCredible
  • Law Student
Just now, Sureaboutnotbeingsure said:

True. But for this recruit it’s just the one interview, no? Just one round?

No, it is not for most firms. Maybe the smaller firms do 1 round but most firms do at least 2. 

99problems
  • Lawyer
14 minutes ago, Legallynotsoblonde said:

Hey! Perhaps I'm misguidedly holding out unrealistic hope here (classic law student), but I was wondering if you wouldn't mind sharing which firm this was? 

Kronis Rotsztain Margles Cappel LLP

• Like 1

Sureaboutnotbeingsure
4 minutes ago, JustinCredible said:

No, it is not for most firms. Maybe the smaller firms do 1 round but most firms do at least 2. 

Damn. I thought it would be one round because offers are permitted to go out no earlier than august 11 at 5pm. If a firm interviews until the 11th, I assumed they’d give out an offer to ensure they get the student they want. As opposed to going to a final round. 

Edited by Sureaboutnotbeingsure

JustinCredible
  • Law Student
Just now, Sureaboutnotbeingsure said:

Damn. I thought it would be one round because offers are permitted to go out no later than august 11 at 5pm. If a firm interviews until the 11th, I assumed they’d give out an offer to ensure they get the student they want. As opposed to going to a final round. 

They go out no earlier than 5pm on August 11th. They are not allowed to give offers before then. 

everythingbagel
  • Lawyer

Got 2 calls from MAG offices in the past 15-20min or so, so calls are still coming!

Does anyone know if most MAG employers do 2nd interviews? Some specified that they only do one, but I forgot to ask others. 

Edited by everythingbagel

QueensDenning
  • Articling Student
14 minutes ago, everythingbagel said:

Got 2 calls from MAG offices in the past 15-20min or so, so calls are still coming!

Does anyone know if most MAG employers do 2nd interviews? Some specified that they only do one, but I forgot to ask others. 

Not sure if this applies to articling, but I know for 2L recruit they only do 1 (bc interviews are scored based on your answer). According to their line of logic, second interviews would defeat their goal of fairness b/c not everyone would have the opportunity to be scored on their second interview.

• Like 1

Sureaboutnotbeingsure
8 minutes ago, QueensDenning said:

Not sure if this applies to articling, but I know for 2L recruit they only do 1 (bc interviews are scored based on your answer). According to their line of logic, second interviews would defeat their goal of fairness b/c not everyone would have the opportunity to be scored on their second interview.

Do you know any tips to score more points? I was told just to expand on your answer/be more detailed. 

QueensDenning
  • Articling Student
34 minutes ago, Sureaboutnotbeingsure said:

Do you know any tips to score more points? I was told just to expand on your answer/be more detailed. 

Yeah so I talked to a MAG rep recently and he said that the best tip he can give is to be as prepared as possible (kinda obvious lol). But he was saying that since they can’t elicit information from you as is normally done in a OCI style interview, so you should have examples ready to add to your responses. He also said that there was typically a pretty easy substantive question that’s given out before the interview, so impressing on that is a must. Another thing was to make sure you know exactly what the office your interviewing does, and explain why you want to do that work (I.e. if your interviewing for MAG civil, don’t say you want to prosecute crimes). 

Edited by QueensDenning
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

How many firms/places are students encouraged to accept throughout the 3 day interview period? I feel like I accepted one too many and don't know what the common practice is...

Sureaboutnotbeingsure
1 hour ago, StrikeOut said:

Anyone else feel sick? 

My anxiety is through the roof. 

• Like 1

lolas
  • NCA Candidate
37 minutes ago, not not a lawyer said:

Is it safe to assume that if I got no calls by now, it's PFO from all those places?

I am secretly hoping that smaller firm doesn't play the "call at 8am" game and will just call whenever they feel like to...

• Like 3

PePeHalpert
  • Lawyer
11 minutes ago, ICook said:

How many firms/places are students encouraged to accept throughout the 3 day interview period? I feel like I accepted one too many and don't know what the common practice is...

It is going to be very difficult to interview with more than 6 firms.  I would narrow it down to your 5 top choices and schedule first interviews on day 1 if time permitting, or if necessary, push your last choice to first thing in the morning of the second day.  Leave time between interviews to decompress as they are exhausting.  The remainder of your schedule on days 2 and 3 should be left open for follow-up interviews.

Edited to add that this advice applies to the in-firm interview process, not OCIs.

Edited by PePeHalpert

Sureaboutnotbeingsure
10 minutes ago, PePeHalpert said:

It is going to be very difficult to interview with more than 6 firms.  I would narrow it down to your 5 top choices and schedule first interviews on day 1 if time permitting, or if necessary, push your last choice to first thing in the morning of the second day.  Leave time between interviews to decompress as they are exhausting.  The remainder of your schedule on days 2 and 3 should be left open for follow-up interviews.

Edited to add that this advice applies to the in-firm interview process, not OCIs.

Where did you find info regarding follow up interviews? I kind of spread my interviews o it across all 3 days. I did this to accommodate my work schedule. Am I screwed now? 

ginarocks
  • Law Student
7 minutes ago, KLew said:

Has anyone heard from the Ministry of Indigenous Affairs at all?

Yeah and also MAG Consumers / MAG Economic Development? 

gingerbread
  • Law Student

anyone heard from  Barbra Schlifer,, Peacebuilders International or LEAF? 

diddlysquatflenderson
  • Law Student

Missed several calls from a firm at 8am, should I keep trying to reach them to set up an interview, or did I miss the chance?

chaboywb
  • Lawyer
6 minutes ago, diddlysquatflenderson said:

Missed several calls from a firm at 8am, should I keep trying to reach them to set up an interview, or did I miss the chance?

If you want to interview with them, of course you should contact them to set up an interview. You have absolutely nothing to lose.

• Thanks 1

everythingbagel
  • Lawyer

Very specific Q, but did anyone who heard from MAG - Con Law note down how long the interview is scheduled for? I have it in my head that it’s an hour, but forgot to write it down because everything was so hectic this morning! 

Forever Curious
  • Law Student
34 minutes ago, Funnyspruce said:

Has anybody received an interview offer from OPG?

I did

PePeHalpert
  • Lawyer
52 minutes ago, Sureaboutnotbeingsure said:

Where did you find info regarding follow up interviews? I kind of spread my interviews o it across all 3 days. I did this to accommodate my work schedule. Am I screwed now? 

Just to be super clear, I am speaking about in-firm interviews and not OCIs.  That information is based on my experience as both a student interviewing for jobs and a lawyer participating in my firm's recruit.

• Thanks 1