Where to live in 1L?

paradisetree
  • Law School Admit

Hi there, I got into Allard Law and I was wondering if there was a specific residence building that Law students often apply to, or whether they are predominantly off campus?

CleanHands
  • Lawyer

There is much, much more demand for on campus housing than there are spots. It's not realistically even an option for most students, so most live off campus.

Edited by CleanHands

bluestblue
  • Law School Admit

I applied on campus residency in Dec 2022 but guess will not have the luck.  Sharing the housing office's reply I received this week.

"You will have a waitlist number in your winter session application in mid-June

For year-round housing offers entirely depend on room availability. From the day you apply, we estimate a wait time of at “least” 18 months for an offer to be sent for share room preferences, more than two years for one-bedroom and studio and more than three years for Nanos suites; please note that we cannot guarantee you will receive a room of your choice. We can’t tell you your chances for your YR housing application; one of our recommendations is shared units in Marine and Exchange residences. You do not need to reapply next year."

FranksRedHot
  • Law Student

Most of us live off campus. I've heard that residence gives slight preference to grad students so when you fill out the form, select "other" and put allard law, and that might help your chances. 

Otherwise, off campus is your only option. As I've said to many others try to get a place that is on a main bus line, preferably an express or rapid bus line, without needing to transfer. The north transit exchange at UBC is right by Allard, and not needing to transfer buses is the key to having a hassle free commute. 

Welcome! You'll love it here

birdlaw
  • Law Student

Almost everyone is off campus. I am biased towards the fairview area, because when i moved here it was the best balance of good, central location but not paying Kits/Mount pleasant prices (although it is hardly any cheaper these days). Being somewhat close to the 99 is great. If you are in or close to Vancouver, your best bet is to walk around neighbourhoods that you are interested in and look for vacancy signs. Facebook and Craigslist postings will likely already have dozens if not hundreds of people applying to them already. 

If you aren't in or close to vancouver, try to get here to look at places. You do NOT want to have to get a place sight unseen.