Welcome!

Ryn

6 minutes ago, ZineZ said:

Oh this must have been an interesting message to wake up to.  Here's a brief summary:

What Happened: 

About a week ago, Morgan posted on lawstudents that the website would be shutting down. The original time frame had been to allow for a two week period before the website went down. Morgan explained that they could no longer run the website due to a confluence of factors including their personal life and the time + complexity needed to run something like ls.ca. There was quite a bit of back and forth, but the base summary is that the decision was made in consultation with ls mods and wasn't easy for anyone. In the end, the complexities of transferring that much personal data and the burden of handling the administration of such a website (revenue, upkeep etc) meant that the site would go down. It seems like the privacy aspect was one of the big factors.

A discord and a reddit was created in the interim - and a number of users from the forum assisted with archiving posts of value. You'll find the contact information for a number of users in the OT section (working to see if there's a better home for it). Unfortunately, the website had to be brought down earlier in the end as Morgan is dealing with a pressing personal matter.

@Ryn graciously offered to help set up a new home for us here, on CanLawForum. They are owed a huge debt alongside with @TobyFlenderson for the work that has been done to ensure that the community continues.

Thanks for the coles notes explanation. I am sorry that I missed it; life keeps going, unfortunately.

I do find the reference to privacy interesting, both because I noticed the privacy policy on the main page and the fact that the rules say "posts are forever", which was one of the issues that I had raised as being problematic near the end. I hope that didn't contribute to the outcome...

ZineZ
  • Lawyer
22 minutes ago, efrefgg said:

'Gratz on mod, btw.

Thanks! Just trying to help ensure that we're able to fit the needs of the new forum. Huge shoes to fill.

22 minutes ago, realpseudonym said:

I see we're going full HRC on the subject of LS.ca closure 🙂

image.png.21be6f8441bc9e01a3d44f8a3a5da6b8.png

I'm also planning to do a book tour.

20 minutes ago, Pyke said:

Thanks for the coles notes explanation. I am sorry that I missed it; life keeps going, unfortunately.

I do find the reference to privacy interesting, both because I noticed the privacy policy on the main page and the fact that the rules say "posts are forever", which was one of the issues that I had raised as being problematic near the end. I hope that didn't contribute to the outcome...

I wasn't part of the discussion and don't want to misrepresent the full set of concerns - but my understanding is that it was more the personal information that was of concern. There were fifteen years of email addresses, PMs and more. It's a lot of back-end data to hand over.

Hop by the discord if you'd like - we've discussed this in a bit of depth in the #meta channel.  

Ryn
  • Lawyer

Thanks everyone for your shout-outs and kind words! I’m glad to see many familiar names here, and some new ones too!

• Like 7

Aureliuse
  • Lawyer

Thank you for the new home.

Hopefully some of our veteran members from the old site will gradually migrate over.

DABMAN
  • Law School Admit

Can we get the right sidebar on the home page to be changed to recent posts instead of recent topics (like on ls.ca)?

Thanks

Edited by DABMAN

Gamgee
  • Law Student
4 minutes ago, DABMAN said:

Can we get the right sidebar on the home page to be changed to recent posts instead of recent topics (like on ls.ca)?

Thanks

If you click the little newspaper icon at the top and you can get a live feed of latest replies and posts, it’s a great feature 

• Like 3

DABMAN
  • Law School Admit
1 minute ago, RUIQ said:

If you click the little newspaper icon at the top and you can get a live feed of latest replies and posts, it’s a great feature 

Oooooo didnt know that thanks!

QMT20
  • Lawyer

Glad to see a new forum to replace ls.ca! Identifying applicants/law students/articling students/lawyers is a useful feature too. I hope most of the community manage to make their way over. 

• Like 1

DeathNTaxes
  • Articling Student

Yay! I was sad to learn of lawstudents.ca closing recently. I am super glad to see that canlawforum.com has arisen from the ashes!

• Like 1

leafs_law
  • Lawyer

It is quite amazing that this new forum is up and running so quickly after our unfortunate loss of LS.ca. Thanks to Ryn and all others involved for your efforts in putting this together!

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Ryn said:

There will be no ads on this website.

You mean we won't get to discourage studying abroad on a page paid for by the University of Law in Guildford, England anymore? Where will I get my daily dose of irony?       

• Like 3

Chief Keef
  • Lawyer
5 minutes ago, realpseudonym said:

You mean we won't get to discourage studying abroad on a page paid for by the University of Law in Guildford, England anymore? Where will I get my daily dose of irony?       

I know way too many people from undergrad attending this exact school..

53 minutes ago, realpseudonym said:

If no ads, then how does the site generate revenue to pay for server and other costs?

• Like 1

shawarmalaw
  • Law Student

Thank you for doing this ! lawstudents was very hopefully for me as someone who is willing to try again next year! I am so excited and happy you guys kept this going! 🙂

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, almostnot said:

Yay @Ryn, @TobyFlenderson and @ZineZ

Thanks for carrying the torch!

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow.
In Flanders fields.
[obviously John McCrae]
Edited by Pyke
  • Nom! 1

CrimeAndPunishment
  • Applicant

Happy we have a new site! I’m a little curious about something, one thing that I really appreciate about this forum is the lawyers that give back to the future legal community. I'd like to leave some members of the forum better off as well, I’m wondering if it would be ok to make a thread where I offer to help other students increase their lsat score? I see that usually people charge $50/ hour or more and while I can’t really do it for free I feel like $15-20/ hour is more than fair and might help increase their score to achieve their goal of getting into law school. I’d be looking to start with people that are in the 140’s-150’s since I think that these are the people I could provide the most value to. 

P.S. I just realized that the website is not running ads, unfortunately I'm broke at the moment and can't contribute to the patreon, but I'd like to offer 10% of any thing I get paid: $15(0.1)=$1.5 to the new forum for anyone that is interested in 1 on 1 tutoring or zoom sessions. 

Edited by CrimeAndPunishment

GGrievous
  • Law Student

This is great. Thanks mod team! It honestly feels like nothing was lost with how quickly things have picked up on this forum. And I think as others have mentioned it's nice to get a clean slate to get more updated information. Looking forward to having this support group around on my law school journey. 

• Like 2

AlmostLawyer
  • Law Student

Thank you so much @Ryn @TobyFlenderson@ZineZ and everyone else involved for taking on this role and getting things started again!! This is such a great community, that I didn't realize how much I appreciated until it was almost gone, so I am really happy to see that it will still be around for hopefully a long time 🥳 

• Like 2
  • Nom! 1

Hitman9172
  • Lawyer

Thank you @TobyFlenderson@Ryn @ZineZ and everybody else for getting this site up and running so quickly. Lawstudents.ca was arguably my favourite website to waste time at work visit, so I am super glad that you guys have set this up, and that so many of the regulars are coming over. A huge thank you to all of you.

• Like 3
  • LOL 1
  • Nom! 1